Author Topic: Time for a revolution?  (Read 13700 times)

chesterfieldchris

Re: Time for a revolution?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2012, 12:39:10 AM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2012, 12:44:55 AM »
And now you're a dad :)

You're call
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2012, 08:08:01 AM »
Seems to me though, as long as there are individuals or organisations that are doing better than others, you will cry foul and demand they be taxed or penalised in some other way to ensure that the gap between the rich and the poor is kept low.

All I cry for is fairness. Off shore bank accounts, tax dodge loop holes, do you call that fair ?

May I suggest a move to perhaps North Korea or possibly even Cuba.  They have equality by the bucketload.

Don't fancy Cuba, or Korea, so we're off to Salou for two weeks on Friday, All Inclusive  C:-)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2012, 08:29:12 AM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2012, 08:43:23 AM »
Perhaps if everyone were treated equally then the "rich" wouldn't feel the need to find the loopholes quite so much.

'Fairness', 'equally', we're nearly agreeing  ;D
Pity we can't decide where to put the goal posts between us. The UK, sorted  8)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

k4blades

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2012, 09:00:26 AM »
The problem with coal is that its dirty, even if you ignore the global warming stuff, we've all seen the pictures of smog covered London, and the illnesses that went with it. Pre election and just after, the Tories were very keen on "carbon capture", which would address many of the issues. The waste from burning coal is collected and pumped out into the vast cavities under the North sea where we have removed the gas and oil. It would have been a good move politically as the Torys could then say they were opening up mining again in the UK. It would create loads of jobs and lessen our dependency on gas. Problem is, it needs billions spending on it and the Govt. can't afford it, and the private sector don't seem keen to spend the money either, though I'm sure something will happen further down the pipeline...excuse the pun.

This issue reminds me of a Question Time a couple of months back. Prescott was on for Labour, can't remember who was on for Cons, and then the various other members of the panel. A question came up about energy and the various other members all disagreed with each other, either in favour or against nuclear, in favour or against wind turbines, even Greenpeace can't decide which side of the fence they are on. But Prescott and the Con were in complete agreement in that its easy when you have no responsibility to say you don't approve of this or that, but when you are in a position of running the country and decisions matter sometimes you have to be pragmatic, and the only sensible solution is a mix of all the available options.

Prescott then went on to say that they, Labour, found it very difficult in the early years of Blair Govt. because what ever they wanted to do with energy, some opposition group would attack them, and bottom line for politicians is they don't like bad press. He said they came under immense pressure from mining unions and those on the left which resulted in in-activity.

The longer that in-activity goes on, the bigger the problem gets, and the more expensive the solution will be.

k4blades

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2012, 09:09:28 AM »
Fly, you and I have very similar stories.
One thing life has taught me, in fact I had it engraained very early in life by my dad, is that you take care of yourself and your own, don't ask anyone for anything because you probably won't get it.
Whatever life has thrown at you, you are still going strong, like me. I might not have the wealth of a banker but I know I have a lot more now than I have had at previuos times in my life, and that has come from my hard work.
Also I think there is more important things in life than just your relative level of wealth.
Other things I learnt from my dad are pride and dignity, something I think is missing from a lot of young men these days.

As deacon Blue said;

There's a man I meet
 Walks up our street
 He's a worker for the council
 Has been twenty years
 And he takes no lip off nobody
 And litter off the gutter
 Puts it in a bag
 And never thinks to mutter
 And he packs his lunch in a Sunblest bag
 The children call him Bogie
 He never lets on
 But I know 'cause he once told me
 He let me know a secret
 About the money in his kitty
 He's gonna buy a dinghy
 Gonna call her Dignity

And I'll sail her up the west coast
 Through villages and towns
 I'll be on my holidays
 They'll be doing their rounds
 They'll ask me how I got her I'll say
 I saved my money
 They'll say isn't she pretty
 That ship called Dignity

And I'm telling this story
 In a faraway scene
 Sipping down Raki
 And reading Maynard Keynes
 And I'm thinking about home
 And all that means
 And a place in the winter
 For Dignity

And I'll sail her up the west coast
 Through villages and towns
 I'll be on my holidays
 They'll be doing their rounds
 They'll ask me how I got her I'll say
 I saved my money
 They'll say isn't she pretty
 That ship called Dignity

Set it up set it up set it up set it up set it up set it up
 Yeah set it up again set it up again set it up again set it up again
 Set it up set it up set it up set it up set it up set it up
 Yeah set it up again set it up again set it up again set it up again

And I'm thinking about home
 And I'm thinking about faith
 And I'm thinking about work
 And I'm thinking
 How good it would be
 To be here some day
 On a ship called Dignity
 A ship called Dignity
 That ship

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2012, 09:51:33 AM »
Song reminds me of one of my old colleague who always said when he retired he would like to get a canal barge, and he has.

I tend to not get involved in a lot of political htreads now as if I tow the Labour line I get accused saying that just because it's the labor way and if I take to opposite stance there will also be comments.

In reality I have my own views and I don't say things just because they are Labour policy, I joined the Labour party because they were closest to my views (and local government was under attack from the government in the early to mid nineties)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2012, 10:08:28 AM »
Cheers K4, you've made me feel quite humble  :)

Whilst in town yesterday, as well as seeing the lad on the multistorey carpark roof, we bumped into my daughter.
She gave Our_Lass a hug and said, "Nice to see you again, it's been quite a while"
Then gave me a quick hug and introduced me to her friends, "This is my dad"  :-*

Looks like my little girl is growing up and starting to make her own decisions in life  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk