Author Topic: Hotpoint  (Read 599 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Hotpoint
« on: February 02, 2021, 10:37:59 AM »
Having just retired our old under the counter fridge we got from Iceland about 16 years ago, we plumped for a similar from Hotpoint.
It was approx £200 + £20 to take the old one away, and very nice it looks too.
I rang Hotpoint freephone to register for 10 year parts guarantee and was told that... yes during those ten years anything goes wrong, the parts will be provided free of charge provided the servicing is done by a qualified Hotpoint service engineer...but I would have to pay call out and any labour costs.
 I don't know what the hourly labour costs are but I enquired as to the call out charges and was told {at today's prices} call out is minimum £120, even on that basis, baring in mind it's got a years guarantee on it, if anything major happened to it on the thirteenth month, with call out and labour, it would probably work out cheaper just to buy another fridge.

Also checking up I found that 56% of Hotpoint is owned by Whirlpool, and that it was a Hotpoint fridge freezer that was blamed for the Grenfell disaster!
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Hotpoint
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 10:52:13 AM »
Spot on Sorastro ! That is exactly what that 10 year plan means.
Daughters washing machine gave up a couple of years ago and she had an insurance which as it couldn't be repaired just replaced the washing machine without cost. Likewise we had the same insurance and when our washing machine gave up last year the insurers replaced with a new one.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 11:44:24 AM »
Yes O.C. I was offered the insurance, it worked out at approx £35 per year, but I said I would think about it and get back to them.
Over the years whenever I have been offered this type of insurance, on any product, I have always rejected it mainly because as it turned out we never had need for it.

Lets face it how often do kitchen fridges need to be replaced?.. in the 48 years we have been married this new one is only our 4th, and in all that time, out of the other 3, the last one was scrapped {but still worked} and so did the first two that were "retired" and were given away to continue working for someone else.
Same with the under the counter freezer {that we keep in the wash house} in 32 years we are only on our 2nd, again giving the first one away.

Obviously washing machines are workhorses compared to fridges. When the kids lived at home the washer was constantly on, but now there's only two of us it doesn't get not nearly as much hammer as our first ones did, having said that out of the total of 6 machines we've got through, they were still working when we "upgraded", there was only one that really threw a seven {Zanussi} that was about ten years ago. I had a mate in the business and he came to look at it and said to repair it with parts and labour I would be looking at around £160 so we bought a brand new one from Argos for £190
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 05:36:29 PM »
Yep, I too always reject any offer of extended warranties or insurance deals.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 10:14:06 AM »
Yes O.C. I was offered the insurance, it worked out at approx £35 per year, but I said I would think about it and get back to them.
Over the years whenever I have been offered this type of insurance, on any product, I have always rejected it mainly because as it turned out we never had need for it.

Lets face it how often do kitchen fridges need to be replaced?.. in the 48 years we have been married this new one is only our 4th, and in all that time, out of the other 3, the last one was scrapped {but still worked} and so did the first two that were "retired" and were given away to continue working for someone else.
Same with the under the counter freezer {that we keep in the wash house} in 32 years we are only on our 2nd, again giving the first one away.

Obviously washing machines are workhorses compared to fridges. When the kids lived at home the washer was constantly on, but now there's only two of us it doesn't get not nearly as much hammer as our first ones did, having said that out of the total of 6 machines we've got through, they were still working when we "upgraded", there was only one that really threw a seven {Zanussi} that was about ten years ago. I had a mate in the business and he came to look at it and said to repair it with parts and labour I would be looking at around £160 so we bought a brand new one from Argos for £190

We only insure the washing machine and dryer which is a separate machine. Don't bother with the dishwasher or fridge
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk