Author Topic: Floods  (Read 4745 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Floods
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
“David Cameron to hold Downing Street press conference.

It is understood that Cameron has not been impressed by the performance of some of his ministers.”

For once I agree with Cameron (shhh don’t tell anyone)  :)

Old cruser :-? ================= runs off elsewhere to spill the beans ================
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 04:20:58 PM »
Actually Cameron sounded proper rattled during one interview on TV - has he egg on his face???
He is the errr leader is he not?

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 05:41:38 PM »
“David Cameron to hold Downing Street press conference.

It is understood that Cameron has not been impressed by the performance of some of his ministers.”

For once I agree with Cameron (shhh don’t tell anyone)  :)

I tweeted Cameron this morning to tell him to get his finger out.  This was on behalf of a chum who lives near Wraybridge, and also after seeing that poor Flood Warden being interviewed on BBC news.  She broke down in tears with exhaustion.

simondjuk

• View Profile
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 08:28:56 AM »
Done Simon, charity begins at home is the saying isn't it!

Gerty I watched that interview as well, poor lady was obviously exhausted. I hope your friend is able to stay in her home.
Listening to the news this morning the same thing is happening in Staines - residents asking for sandbags - non forthcoming as yet.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
Done Simon, charity begins at home is the saying isn't it!

Gerty I watched that interview as well, poor lady was obviously exhausted. I hope your friend is able to stay in her home.
Listening to the news this morning the same thing is happening in Staines - residents asking for sandbags - non forthcoming as yet.

Wow! Great minds think alike!!! Just walked back from town and was saying to SWMBO that we should spend the money we send abroad to help, not only people who have been flooded, but to fund the work to prevent it again in the future. I used the same 'charity begins at home' expression too!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Alsatian

• View Profile
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 01:01:03 PM »
I didnt quite catch all of it this morning but they did say that 100,000 people signed that in one day.

Im still split on this.  One one hand, a lot of this flood damage could have been avoided if they didnt live on a flood-plain, but on the other its getting ridiculous with the continuous bad weather.  Dont get me wrong, I do feel for a lot of these people but some choose to live next to rivers then moan about getting flooded and apparently they reckon theres going to be flooding until May.

I did hear also that £14 of each home insurance policy within the UK goes to compensation and pay outs for flood victims, but these people cant get insurance

Makes me glad I live on a hill

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 02:50:03 PM »

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »
I hear they have pulled the environment staff out of one place as they were being abused.
Don't agree with that - it's not their fault

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 06:20:19 PM »
I hear they have pulled the environment staff out of one place as they were being abused.
Don't agree with that - it's not their fault

That's unfair, like you say its not their fault. They are just employees at the end of the day.

Ive just heard they are planning on deliberately flooding some homes to save others in Chertsey. If that happens, the homeowners of the saved homes should pay compensation to the victims.

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 08:13:09 PM »
Unsure about this but be warned if you use this road

The road past Coalite at Boza is coned off.  Can only assume that the Doe Lea has overflowed.

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 09:20:34 AM »
That's unfair, like you say its not their fault. They are just employees at the end of the day.

Ive just heard they are planning on deliberately flooding some homes to save others in Chertsey. If that happens, the homeowners of the saved homes should pay compensation to the victims.

It's not the residents in the saved home who made the decision to flood others so why should they pay?

It'll be the multi-agency civil emergency partnership who will have decided that: emergency services, council, Environment Agency etc. They're the ones from whom compensation should be claimed.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 06:47:06 PM »
 Some councils are charging for sandbags - Cameron has ordered them to give them free wonder if he is increasing monies to them for the sandbags

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »
Many, if not all councils have been charging for sandbags for years. Supplying them is not a statutory service.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk