Author Topic: Rotherham rapist offered role in victims child's life  (Read 778 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Rotherham rapist offered role in victims child's life
« on: November 28, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »
BBC News - Sammy Woodhouse: Rotherham 'rapist offered role in child's life'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-46368991

I find it horrendous and incredibly unfeeling for the victim that Social Services could even think about such a callous act. They go on about his human rights, he didn't think about his victims human rights when he raped her.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Rotherham rapist offered role in victims child's life
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 08:09:28 PM »
I think some of the papers have over dramatised the situation. Though nothing surprises me with some councils nowadays!

This is something I read on the SheffieldForum.
As often seems to be the case, the reporting of this has been rather sensationalist. The Daily Mail link provided states "A council was last night criticised as ‘ridiculous’ and ‘perverse’ after it offered a prison inmate access to a son he fathered by raping a teenage girl".

Instead, what actually happened is that the individual in question was informed (as required by law) of their right to apply for access/involvement with the child. The individual has not, as reported, been given access to the child. Further down the page the article does go on to say that he in fact opted not to have any contact with the child. Whether or not the law should be changed is a separate issue, but the Council appear to have acted in accordance with the law as it stands.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 08:36:20 PM »
Whilst we continue along the road of "Wrongdoers have rights too" the law will REMAIN an ass.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 07:33:39 PM »
I'm not completely comfortable with all of the Human Rights criteria.

If it's true what the news paper reports this man has to get through the courts - if - he wanted to see the child.
The other side of it is the child would maybe be of an age considered to be able to make the decision as to whether they wanted to see their father -
How many would want to see a father who had raped their mother?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk