Author Topic: Woodhead Pass crash  (Read 1195 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Woodhead Pass crash
« on: November 27, 2018, 06:29:22 PM »
BBC News - Woodhead Pass crash: Driver 'lucky' to escape skewered car
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-46280134

Made ITV Calendar News tonight and they interviewed the 24 year old driver, who'd only had the car for seven weeks.

He said he'd overtaken a vehicle doing 55mph and then skidded and lost control on the wet road.

He then protested about the police forces tweet stating "ambition over ability". On what part of the Woodhead Pass (or indeed any road) is it OK to overtake at a speed in excess of 55mph in the wet?!

It just beggars belief.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

hifimad

• View Profile
Re: Woodhead Pass crash
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 01:30:54 AM »
a few years ago i was driving me and my family back from minehead we had just got onto the a38 and the heavens opened up to the point my windscreen wipers which were on the fastest setting could just about keep up if i slowed down to arond 30 mph, due to the intensity of the rain visibility was severely compromised to the point that around 30 mph was sensible, what was unbeleivable was the speed of some of the vehicles overtaking me including large vans and lorries they were leaving me and other sensible drivers behind like we were parked i was amazed at such obvous lunacy, and how there were no crashes that we could see along our route was amazing.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 06:56:48 PM »
Happens all the time. There's always the occasional idiot who has a big head and likes to 'show' other motorists - ' how to do it '
If they take there selves out fair enough but these idiots end up taking others out with them.

Meanwhile I sat waiting - and watching whilst a driver in a rather small car struggled for some reason to pull out of the parking bay they were in.
Admitted it was in a corner - but I reversed into it with no problem in the estate car.
Some people shouldn't be on the road!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 08:03:45 PM »
Happens all the time. There's always the occasional idiot who has a big head and likes to 'show' other motorists - ' how to do it '
If they take there selves out fair enough but these idiots end up taking others out with them.

Meanwhile I sat waiting - and watching whilst a driver in a rather small car struggled for some reason to pull out of the parking bay they were in.
Admitted it was in a corner - but I reversed into it with no problem in the estate car.
Some people shouldn't be on the road!

Spot on there OC
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 09:40:52 PM »
This is why, when visiting {especially supermarket} car parks, I would rather park at the far end with an extra minute walk where there are spaces than risk parking near some of these numpties who'es only interest is to get 6 inches nearer the entrance, I have actually seen "motorists" spend more time trying to park in an awkward space near the doors than do what I do, and you can ALWAYS bet that when I return to my car that had at least 5 spaces either side of it when I left, another other car would be parked next to mine when I returned.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 09:46:00 PM »
This is why, when visiting {especially supermarket} car parks, I would rather park at the far end with an extra minute walk where there are spaces than risk parking near some of these numpties who'es only interest is to get 6 inches nearer the entrance, I have actually seen "motorists" spend more time trying to park in an awkward space near the doors than do what I do, and you can ALWAYS bet that when I return to my car that had at least 5 spaces either side of it when I left, another other car would be parked next to mine when I returned.

Probably because they don't use their mirrors and need your vehicle to line up
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 10:29:33 AM »

Yes I do the same - and get exactly the same situation. I also try to park on the end of a row, then that way at least 50% of the car SHOULD be safe from inconsiderate parkers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk