Author Topic: Bins.....again.  (Read 13108 times)

k4blades

Bins.....again.
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
Carrying on the issue from the other place.......

We have a few chickens and every week we clean out their shed, which results in a small bundle of newspaper, straw and chicken pooh having to be thrown away. As chicken pooh is good for composting we have always thrown this in the green, garden waste bin.
Just before Christmas though, it wasn't emptied and a label put on it from the bin men saying that they wouldn't empty it as the garden waste is contaminated. I phoned the lady from the council, as advised on the note, who told me that although she agrees that chicken waste is good compost material, they have been told that it should now go into the black bin.
With the introduction of the blue bin, we thought our black bin would have less waste in it, but now its going to have more, the blue bin is now over-flowing with various bottles, etc, (not even thinking about all the card/paper from xmas) but like everyone else, our green bin will be under used for a few months.
How come for the past 2 years, chicken waste was seen as garden waste, not to be put in the black bin, but now the opposite is true. A perfect example of bureaucratic box ticking and form filling taking precedence over common sense.....no wonder many people don't bother with recycling when the rules seem to be made up as you go along!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:26:04 PM by k4blades »

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: Bins.....again.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:41:59 PM »
It's one I can ask about next time I have a meeting with environment officers

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:30:06 PM »
..........................and how come, since the introduction of the blue bin, shredded paper is a big no no?!  :(
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

emmz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:42:09 PM »
I feel the green bin should have stayed as cardboard/garden waste. The box provided is nowhere big enough to hold 2 weeks worth of card/paper. and if im honest i dont want to leave extra on the pavement as that means more litter on the streets and lets be honest last thing bin men want is to go chasing rubbish!
Regards to chicken waste i would have thought it would be ok i nthe green bin...i think the council need to rethink what goes in which bin then let the public know..

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »
I feel the green bin should have stayed as cardboard/garden waste. The box provided is nowhere big enough to hold 2 weeks worth of card/paper. and if im honest i dont want to leave extra on the pavement as that means more litter on the streets and lets be honest last thing bin men want is to go chasing rubbish!
Regards to chicken waste i would have thought it would be ok i nthe green bin...i think the council need to rethink what goes in which bin then let the public know..

What she said!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

k4blades

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 04:28:51 PM »
I forgot to say, I know dog waste has always gone in the black bin, but understand that this is down to a different chemical composition. Also where as chicken waste is in paper and straw, often dog waste is collected in little plastic bags.
I don't know about cat waste, we haven't got one. Yet.

dave7634

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »
Always makes me laugh that cardboard boxes had to be cut into pieces and not left on steets years ago as the unscrupulous of us would see that No 5 (other house numbers are available) had had a new hifi system and that would be a good indicator to be robbed in the forthcoming days/weeks/months. Now we're told to leave these out at the side of the bins (poxy little black thing inside blue bins aint big enough) for the binmen to pick up  :(

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
..........................and how come, since the introduction of the blue bin, shredded paper is a big no no?!  :(

Reduces the quality of compost

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »
One of the letters in the DT this week criticising blue bins is from an old friend of mine

Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 08:46:29 PM »
Travelling To Germany a lot, I like their Idea of recycling bottles, whether Glass or plastic.
You take them to the supermarket, and put them into a machine, which in turn counts them
and duly gives you a receipt for an amount to be used at the check-out tills. hence no plastic
or glass bottles littering the street. You can imagine the kids in this Country going mad for it..eh.
remember the days taking beer bottles back for threepence.

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »
>> remember the days taking beer bottles back for threepence

Oh yes! When we were kids in the 50s we lived across the road from Queens Park and when there was a cricket match they would let us in later in the afternoon. We made quite a nice profit thanks. :)
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 09:11:16 PM »
I forgot to say, I know dog waste has always gone in the black bin

Really? We always used to place our dog waste in the street bins provided (mind you we got some funny looks carrying it to the bin when we didn't have the dog with us!!)

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 09:13:13 PM »
told to leave these out at the side of the bins (poxy little black thing inside blue bins aint big enough) for the binmen to pick up  :(

Get real - can you actually see that happening if it strays more than just a few cms away from the bin(s)?  ;D

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »

Reduces the quality of compost

But surely it did that before?

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 09:15:13 PM »
We made quite a nice profit thanks. :)

Always the entrepreneur eh Pete?!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk