Author Topic: Bins.....again.  (Read 13112 times)

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: Bins.....again.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 09:36:45 PM »
..........................and how come, since the introduction of the blue bin, shredded paper is a big no no?!  :(

Reduces the quality of compost

But surely it did that before?

Specification has changed. Part of the reason the successful contractors could be competitive was the money to be made from recycling

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 09:53:03 PM »
Pop bottles always made a few pence.
Start as you mean to go on. I got a job instead   :)
Visions of Pete walking the streets of town , as a kid, looking for pop bottles, and inspiration. LOL  :D
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

k4blades

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 02:03:50 PM »
The weather is showing just how stupid the councils latest bin initiative is.

I put my blue bin on the front last night, ready to be emptied this morning. On my way out this morning, it had blown over, due to the fact that nothing heavy is placed in there, (unless you have lots of glass bottles), spilling its contents, including the insert bit for card. I picked up what I could and also took out 4 black bin-liners full of paper/card/etc from Xmas, all neatly tied up as instructed. These have been in the garage since Xmas, but placed by the bin this morning...we are told that we should make sure its all put out early as collection could be at any time.
Well I've been out all morning, and spotted many other bins also blown over spilling their waste. I have now got back home, and our street still hasn't been emptied, our bin has blown over again, the black bags, being light have blown down the street, boxes, have blown across the neighbours garden and card / paper litter from several peoples bins has now blown all over the cul-de-sac.

In the mean time, green bins sit empty and unused.

Once the bins have been emptied I hope the council are going to send someone round to sweep up all the litter but somehow I doubt it.

They should admit they have made a mistake, eat some humble pie, then look again at the silly idea of only allowing one small inner box for card, and NOT suggest people leave litter stacked by the bin.
Come on Chesterfield Council, engage brain please!

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 06:57:43 PM »
It's not been an ideal start with probably the most gales we've had for years. Size of the inserts is based on H & S guidelines. I've seen bins of all colours blown over in my travels today. Isn't it black bin week in Chesterfield?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »
Isn't it black bin week in Chesterfield?

Knowing Chesterfield Council, Yes.
At least Boza Council alternate different areas each week.
Our recycle bin in the morning, my mum's black bin. She's only 1/2 mile down the road.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Stuart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 09:56:09 PM »
Size of the inserts is based on H & S guidelines.
A phrase that sometimes gets my hackles up. I'm a big fan of being healthy and safe, and hate to see this phrase trotted out to excuse any number of odd-looking customs and practices. We tend to have a 25-kilo lift limit per person at work although, of course, that can go up and down dependent on a number of factors. What is the cardboard compartment going to weigh, full? Five kilos? And how much did the blue boxes, full of steel tins and glass bottles, weight when full? If folk could lift those for so long without a problem...

As it happens, the cardboard compartment is usually big enough for us - a family of four - although the thing does unaccountably slip off the side of the bin and into it sometimes, depositing cardboard into old tins and making neccessary a "lean in and fish out" session - difficult and occasionally painful, if your back's like mine.
Isn't it black bin week in Chesterfield?
If it is, then I'd like to know who emptied my blue one on Stand Road on Monday, so that I can thank them for their kindness. In reality, bins of both colours are emptied in different areas of my neighbourhood on the same day.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 02:55:34 PM »
What is the cardboard compartment going to weigh, full? Five kilos? And how much did the blue boxes, full of steel tins and glass bottles, weight when full? If folk could lift those for so long without a problem...

And let's not forget that, when the old 'blue boxes' [which contained all materials] were being used, they had to be lifted from ground level - whereas the blue bin inserts [which now only contain paper & cardboard] are only being lifted from just above waist level (or almost head height if you're vertically challenged like me!!!  ;))
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 02:57:52 PM »
..........................and how come, since the introduction of the blue bin, shredded paper is a big no no?!  :(

Reduces the quality of compost

But surely it did that before?

Specification has changed. Part of the reason the successful contractors could be competitive was the money to be made from recycling

Excuse me for being thick, but, how does shredding a piece of A4 paper alter its' constituent parts? Surely if an A4 piece of paper is acceptable a 'shred' of paper should be - if not when is a piece of paper not a piece of paper (A5 - A3 - Foolscap - Quarto)?
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 06:38:38 PM »
It is the green bin that can't have have shredded paper not the blue bin.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 03:00:17 PM »
It is the green bin that can't have have shredded paper not the blue bin.

Methinks I've got things muddled a bit here! Mother-in-Law (NEDDC resident) can only put shredded paper in the black bin, and I assumed that we (CBC) would be the same.

OK - carry on as normal!  ;)

mycul

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 10:37:35 PM »
And we used to go up to the wood yard on Saturday morning to collect offcuts of wood, chop it into firewood selll it to get 1 shilling.
6 pence to see the cinema in the morning and 6 pence for fish and chips at Bodens.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 10:43:27 AM »
6 pence for fish and chips at Bodens.

Aah Bodens - used to rush their from Tech (now known as Chesterfield College) when I was on day-release at lunchtime to beat the queues!

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 02:44:19 PM »
I have asked the chicken question and it is being looked into

k4blades

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 03:08:54 PM »
Thanks.

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 09:38:36 AM »
Looks like this subject isn't going to go away anytime soon... This is from a letter to the DT today:

"The recent letter published in the Derbyshire Times regarding the (non)-disposal cardboard (other than by the wind) and the problems it causes, makes me angry about how the producers of our goods off-load the problem on to us as consumers.
We have very little choice as to how we buy our goods as most of it is imported. Things are wrapped, packaged, cocooned to coincide factory storage, order picking, transport, distribution and display demands of the manufacturers, not the ultimate customer."

http://bit.ly/xmAyU3
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk