Author Topic: Bins.....again.  (Read 13111 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: Bins.....again.
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 04:11:53 PM »
My neighbour rang up to complain about the amount of paper and cardboard that was littered around after t'other weeks wind, only to be told that a van follows the (convoy of) bin wagon(s) to pick this up.

How environmentally unfriendly is that - THREE vehicles doing the job that ONE used to do when we just had the green bin?????!!!!!  ???
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

k4blades

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 05:23:28 PM »
Well they haven't been down our street. Last week when we had our blue bin emptied, we had loads of newspapers and stuff blown all over the street, which wasn't even our, but it all collects in the end of the cul-de-sac....around our garden, and it wasn't that windy. Apart from the bit on our garden which I picked up, the rest, thats on the road and park, is still there, a week later.
The other day driving up Chesterfield Rd, I saw 2 of the inserts that had some how made there way onto the road. One was upturned, spilling its load. The other looked like it had been hit by a car, as it was all smashed.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 06:02:01 PM »
Well they haven't been down our street......................

Sorry, should have said that, although they said they do follow the vans, we've never seen them either!

What a crock o'shite!  >:(
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

k4blades

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 09:13:09 AM »
Looks like this subject isn't going to go away anytime soon... This is from a letter to the DT today:

"The recent letter published in the Derbyshire Times regarding the (non)-disposal cardboard (other than by the wind) and the problems it causes, makes me angry about how the producers of our goods off-load the problem on to us as consumers.
We have very little choice as to how we buy our goods as most of it is imported. Things are wrapped, packaged, cocooned to coincide factory storage, order picking, transport, distribution and display demands of the manufacturers, not the ultimate customer."

http://bit.ly/xmAyU3

I couldn't agree more with that sentiment. I've always said that instead of all this messing about with recycling, if you really want to tackle the problem deal with it at source, and stop making so much waste in the first place.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
My neighbour rang up to complain about the amount of paper and cardboard that was littered around after t'other weeks wind, only to be told that a van follows the (convoy of) bin wagon(s) to pick this up.

How environmentally unfriendly is that - THREE vehicles doing the job that ONE used to do when we just had the green bin?????!!!!!  ???

Aren't you forgetting the box and bag collection?

btw any extra vehicles are at the contractor's risk and make no difference to the amount coming out of our council tax for the service

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 07:16:23 PM »
>> btw any extra vehicles are at the contractor's risk and make no difference to the amount coming out of our council tax for the service

But the point was about how environmentally responsible it was.

So what you are saying is the council put cost over environmental issues?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Not at all.

Quality of compost is now much improved since cardboard was banned from green bins.

% of recycling has increased since the introduction of blue bins.

Problems of the light lids are being looked at, a press statement should be issued in the near future.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 02:59:14 PM »
Quality of compost is now much improved since cardboard was banned from green bins.

% of recycling has increased since the introduction of blue bins.

Problems of the light lids are being looked at, a press statement should be issued in the near future.

Yawn!!!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk