Author Topic: Beware: Lot's of fake PayPal emails circulating.  (Read 2375 times)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Beware: Lot's of fake PayPal emails circulating.
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »
I could tell straight away that it was fake by the email address it was sent to me by. digitax@ bla .co.uk
That was an email address I used with a company called digitax, a taxi meter firm LOL
Easy to spot spam when you have a multitude of emails at hand.
So just be aware. Here's the general jist of the email.

PLEASE VERIFY YOUR ACCOUNT TODAY !

Hello,

This Is Message Generated By Our Secure System To Tell You That Your Account Is Under Security Mesures The Account Is Under Security Mesure Because We See In Last 24 Hours That Your Acces Is Opened With Different Computer And Location, To Protect Your Account You Need To Confirm It By The Link Bellow Thanks , We Are Not Monotoring This Inbox !.

What do I need to do?
Click here , And verify your account information,and please confirm your CreditCard.
Please note that the current User Agreement will apply until these changes take effect.

Yours sincerely,
ΡayΡal

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: Beware: Lot's of fake PayPal emails circulating.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:08:08 PM »
I get a lot of those too, usually a couple of dead giveaways that they're fake are:

1. Genuine Paypal emails always address you by name

2. Bad grammar/punctuation/spelling - as in your example, every word starts with a capital letter and 'measures' ms-spelt as mesures.

If in doubt my advice is to forward it to Paypal for their confirmation before taking any action.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:12:22 PM »
Here's a link to paypal for reporting spams and stuff.
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/phishing
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 09:15:23 AM »
Funny you should post this, ive had one recently too.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

emmz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:29:21 PM »
Heres another

Reference PP-002-658-325-389

Account Status Update   Response required
Confirm information you provided when you created your account   Upon receipt
Recently, there's been activity in your PayPal account that seems unusual compared to your normal account activities. Please log in to PayPal to confirm your identity and update security questions.

To help protect your account, no one can send money or withdraw money. In addition, no one can close your account, send refunds, remove any bank accounts, or remove credit cards.
What's going on?

We're concerned that someone is using your PayPal account without your knowledge. Recent activity on your account seems to have occurred from a suspicious location or under circumstances that may be different than usual.
What to do
Log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible. We may ask you to confirm information you provided when you created your account to make sure you're the account holder.

You should also do the following for your own protection:

Check your account details (address, email, phone, etc.) to make sure they're accurate.
    Review your account activity to make sure you recognise the transactions made recently.
    Report any unknown or unauthorised activity. Go to the Resolution Centre and click Dispute a Transaction.

What's next?

Once you've completed all the tasks, we'll respond within 72 hours.

If you need help or have any questions, call us on 0800 358 7911, 8:00 am - 10:00 pm Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 9:00 pm Saturday 9:00 am - 9:00 pm Sunday, For Claims or limitations, hours of service are: 8:00 am - 8:30 pm Monday through Friday 8:00 am - 6:30 pm Saturday 9:00 am - 6:30 pm Sunday.

Yours sincerely,
PayPal

Help Centre | Safety Advice

Please do not reply to this email because we are not monitoring this inbox. To get in touch with us, log in to your account and click "Contact Us" at the bottom of any page.

Copyright © 2013 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.a r.l. et Cie, S.C.A.
Societe en Commandite par Actions
Registered office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-00rand Luxemburg
RCS Luxemburg B 118 349

PayPal Email ID PP-002-658-325-389

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »
Funny you should post this, ive had one recently too.
Heres another

Glad to see people not falling for the scam, and sharing the info  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk