Author Topic: New Derbyshire times  (Read 2047 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
New Derbyshire times
« on: December 19, 2019, 11:09:04 AM »
There were some comments on the "new" look Derbyshire times that rejuvenated itself {again} about 3 or 4 years ago, and the message seemed to say readers were not overly impressed.........me included.

I have just glanced through this weeks issue {£1:30p} there are, it seems, 103 pages. Of those most pages are taken up with adverts. If you add them together page by page out of the 103 pages the adverts equate to 49 pages.
12 of these are an "advert" for Ashgate Hospice, I don't know if,or how they were charged for the advert but 12 pages of the D.T. wouldn't come cheap{one page asking for donations as every little helps}.
I have also noticed the Obituary column{s} have got smaller over the past couple of weeks, no doubt by fitting more on a page in a space saving exercise whilst obviously increasing revenue, but you can bet the price of a column won't have shrunk.
As I have remarked before I just do the crossword in the D.T. and check the head and shoulders for anyone I may know. I tend not to read it in depth as just reading the headlines is enough to depress me.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: New Derbyshire times
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 02:10:17 PM »
I haven't read a physical copy of the DT for years, for largely the same reasons.

I tend to look at the online version, but that is fraught with problems insofar as pages slow to load, or not loading at all. You have to log on to read over a certain number of articles each month. Every so often you have to log on again which, surprise surprise, isn't a straightforward process. Also adverts tend to make the pages bounce up and down, making it almost impossible to read.

I tend to just 'skim' through the headlines and look through the head & shoulders on a weekly basis. "
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »
Hubby buys it but I don't read it.
The only time I look at it is to see if my advertisement in the Grassroots has been put in.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 10:29:17 PM »
When all said & done, most people only buy this rag to see who is in the obituaries ?
So why, do they still keep ripping off those who put loved ones in the obituary column, whilst they are quite happy to give free publicity for events at places like chatsworth ?
Is it a case of just sucking up to the overprivileged, & sod the peasants ?

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 12:30:54 PM »
In the last issue of the D.T. there is much trumpeting about government money to "boost" the town centre over 92 grand apparently.

Last time they appeared to spend on the town centre the only thing I noticed different was Vicar Lane got a big telly, a real must for failing businesses was that.

Empty shops, charity chuggers every 20 yards, druggies and wino's littering the streets, an open air market that's long since gone to the dogs oh! and don't forget the big telly........why anyone would bother shopping in Chesterfield now remains a mystery to me.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 11:05:01 AM »
Read in this weeks D.T. of a cyclist who fell off his bike on a towpath next to the river Rother and ended up injured and on his back in the river. After about half an hour he saw a passer by and asked for help, but the passer by said "No" and walked on, he was rescued some time later by 3 blokes who heard his cries for help.

I actually think this bloke who walked on by should be tracked down and at least be asked to give an explanation as to why he didn't lift a finger. I'm not saying everyone's a cape wearing hero and must help, but even though he may not have been able to physically help him, the minimum he should have done was to find someone who would help or at least contact the emergency services, it's common sense.
It doesn't exactly restore your faith in human kindness a stunt like that. At the end of the day what he did was unthinkable, the man in the river could have died because he walked on by and maybe no one else would have heard him.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 02:24:28 PM »
I'm not defending the guy who didn't help, but how many times have you seen on TV about someone coming to the aid of someone apparently in distress, only to be set upon and mugged/beaten up by hidden associates?

If that was his reason, then maybe he ought to have found other people to help him?

Just saying.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 12:40:14 PM »
In the last issue of the D.T. there is much trumpeting about government money to "boost" the town centre over 92 grand apparently.

Last time they appeared to spend on the town centre the only thing I noticed different was Vicar Lane got a big telly, a real must for failing businesses was that.

Empty shops, charity chuggers every 20 yards, druggies and wino's littering the streets, an open air market that's long since gone to the dogs oh! and don't forget the big telly........why anyone would bother shopping in Chesterfield now remains a mystery to me.
you forgot to add you run the risk of being attacked for no justifiable reason, unlawfully detained and lied to and about, and also being subject to verbal abuse over a tannoy system, what a public frendly town we live in thanks to our corrupt and unacountable Labour Council.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 01:53:45 PM »
Whilst in town the other day {Thursday} I came out of the precinct entrance near Tesco's to walk to Vicar Lane.

Just those couple of hundred yards from there to the corner of South St. and I counted 6 empty shops on the right hand side.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 11:19:16 AM »
There were some comments on the "new" look Derbyshire times that rejuvenated itself {again} about 3 or 4 years ago, and the message seemed to say readers were not overly impressed.........me included.
I have just glanced through this weeks issue {£1:30p} there are, it seems, 103 pages. Of those most pages are taken up with adverts. If you add them together page by page out of the 103 pages the adverts equate to 49 pages.

Just gone through my old stuff on the D.T. and found a cutting, it was from 1998 and the price of the paper then was 28p.

I've never understood why the Derbyshire Times has never been sold in Derby and as far as I'm aware it never has been weird that!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 11:25:16 AM by Sorastro »

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 12:16:21 PM »
It's really sad what is happening to businesses.
If we wanted to go into shops to buy items there are some which we can't buy in Chesterfield and have to go further afield or the easier way is to order on line which in turn knocks the businesses.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

wollygobble

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 05:04:34 PM »
I've never understood why the Derbyshire Times has never been sold in Derby and as far as I'm aware it never has been weird that!
Not just Derby but the district of South Derbyshire as well if I'm not mistaken.  I've only been here for 30 years (nearly), but those places have always seemed like a whole nother world to me.  Some time ago our church was visited by the council of Churches Together in Derbyshire.  They are Derby-based, and didn't have a clue about the north of the county at all.

The recent merger of Derbyshire Times editions has shed light on its area of coverage.  The biggest surprise is the inclusion of Stapleford, which isn't even in Derbyshire!

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 01:38:22 PM »
Well to be honest BBC Radio Derby doesnt even reach most of Chesterfield and we are covered by Radio Sheffield from Yorkshire so its not just the DT ignoring parts of Derbyshire.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk