Author Topic: Conservative MP defects to Ukip  (Read 926 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Conservative MP defects to Ukip
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:44:43 AM »
Douglas Carswell has defected to Ukip.
I've been watching the interview on TV but the coverage of questions to the MP were not really audible.
What Carswell was saying however was that promises made to 'change politics' at the election have not been kept and that Cameron is only interested in giving people a little bit of what they expect to get the votes in the next election.
Carswell said he believed David Cameron and senior Conservatives were not "serious about real change

I'm wondering if this is the start of more MP's defecting from the other three parties.

Reckon I will have to read up more on UKIP and what they stand for before the next election

Clip from newspaper below.

Douglas Carswell will stand for Ukip in a byelection in Clacton after announcing his defection from the Conservatives. Photograph: Paul Grover/Rex Features
A hand grenade has been thrown into David Cameron's general election campaign after the Eurosceptic Tory MP Douglas Carswell defected to UKIP, triggering an immediate byelection.

Carswell, a leading member of the generation of Tory Eurosceptics, said he had endured sleepless nights in the ruup to his decision.

He has decided to resign immediately as MP for Clacton, in Essex, guaranteeing a difficult byelection for the Tories. As the sitting MP Carswell will have an immediate advantage.

Sitting alongside the Ukip leader Nigel Farage, Carswell said: "It's nice to be a member of a party where I agree with the leader." Farage joked: "It is early days."

Carswell said he believed David Cameron and senior Conservatives were not "serious about real change".

He had a majority of 12,068 at the last general election.

Carswell said: "Things don't have to be this way. I will be asking voters in Essex to help me change them."

He entered parliament in 2005, and has frequently rebelled over European issues.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:47:10 AM by Old Cruser »
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: Conservative MP defects to Ukip
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 01:54:18 PM »
At least he has the principles to resign his seat rather than crossing the floor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk