Author Topic: To school or not to school, that is the question!  (Read 406 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
To school or not to school, that is the question!
« on: September 03, 2023, 12:26:51 PM »
The fiasco over schools has finally caught up with the government. Two days before term time starts many schools will not be able to open as they are classed as dangerous.

The government have known about this for years, and it's not just the Tories, this subject has been on the books, in different guises, as far back as the early nineties so Labour has no need to crow about it. Most of these schools, that were built in the 50's and early 60's, were known to have a limited shelf life of about 30 to 40 years from the get go, so no one party is totally blameless but unfortunately now the brown stuffs hit the fan the Tories are the ones in power and left to sort it, so we'll just have to see just how good they are between now and the next election............the clocks ticking.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
Re: To school or not to school, that is the question!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 08:01:37 PM »
The fiasco over schools has finally caught up with the government. Two days before term time starts many schools will not be able to open as they are classed as dangerous.

The government have known about this for years, and it's not just the Tories, this subject has been on the books, in different guises, as far back as the early nineties so Labour has no need to crow about it. Most of these schools, that were built in the 50's and early 60's, were known to have a limited shelf life of about 30 to 40 years from the get go, so no one party is totally blameless but unfortunately now the brown stuffs hit the fan the Tories are the ones in power and left to sort it, so we'll just have to see just how good they are between now and the next election............the clocks ticking.
Will it just be schools though or is it also other buildings. Hospitals have been mentioned as well. It is frightening to think what building you are entering and you don't know the structure of it.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 07:49:10 PM »
I quite agree......

Makes you think of places like Mexico, South America, India and the like who's buildings collapse at the drop of a hat mainly due to the{allegedly} back handers given to people in authority for turning a blind eye to construction firms using cheap shoddy materials. I think it's high time this was looked into over here.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 12:58:26 PM »
Our Primary/ Junior school was built around 1894. The Tupton Hall senior school much more recent. i haven't heard it's on any list - yet!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 09:28:07 PM »
Our Primary/ Junior school was built around 1894. The Tupton Hall senior school much more recent. i haven't heard it's on any list - yet!

Exactly... my infant and junior schools were built about the same time and it's a testament to their construction that they are far outlasting their more modern equivalents, yes tired they may look and work is needed to be done on most but the structures are sound.

Another temporary build was the estate I live, and was born on. These houses apparently were an "experiment" in using different building materials to erect estates quickly to solve the housing shortage after the war plus replacing poor housing stock with bad sanitation etc. Apparently people like my parents were told these houses were due to be demolished after 30 years, whatever the outcome, and a new estate built in it's place but instead the houses were "modernised" in the eighties so it's plainly obvious it was cheaper to tart up the houses than replace which means the council were penny pinching even then.
You only have to look around places like Grangewood etc. to see post war prefabs still in use, now those structures WERE temporary and here we are 70 odd years later!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk