Author Topic: That's the jollies 2012 sorted.  (Read 48496 times)

therealjr

• View Profile
Re: That's the jollies 2012 sorted.
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
Another cruise

Sure you want to?    ???

I was booked to fly on a Pan Am plane when Lockerbie happened!! It was one of the safest plane I've ever flown on given the levels of security. I flew to the states 13 months after 9/11. Same principle. The ships I go on do their safety briefings before they leave port (not one day after) they do them in English (not 5 different languages so that by the time you get to the English all the other nationalities are chattering their heads off and you can't hear) and they are staffed by Captain's who have worked their way up through Seamanship not been appointed as head of Security and promoted in line with the Peter principle!! So yes I will be going!!!!
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »
Just had a thought (don't have many so claps please) I wonder if it will bring the prices down a bit????
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:41:35 PM by Old Cruser »
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »
Clap, clap, clap, clap - in your dreams... ;)
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »
The prices might actually rise.
There's 1 less cruise liner now  :(
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Another cruise

Sure you want to?    ???

I was booked to fly on a Pan Am plane when Lockerbie happened!! It was one of the safest plane I've ever flown on given the levels of security. I flew to the states 13 months after 9/11. Same principle. The ships I go on do their safety briefings before they leave port (not one day after) they do them in English (not 5 different languages so that by the time you get to the English all the other nationalities are chattering their heads off and you can't hear) and they are staffed by Captain's who have worked their way up through Seamanship not been appointed as head of Security and promoted in line with the Peter principle!! So yes I will be going!!!!

Scarey isn't it. We were flying 2 weeks after the 9/11 but not the states, security was high at this end though.
Agree about the muster drills they should be done before leaving port, any people joining at other ports should also be expected to attend. Muliti languages do also get on my wick so like you we are selective in who we sail with and Costa has never been one of them.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
you never did say who and where for 2012?

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 03:22:37 PM »
Another cruise

Sure you want to?    ???

Good for you.  Hope you enjoy!  I don't know the background of the captain of the Concordia so its come as a surprise you saying about him being Head of Security.  BUT I do know plenty of people who were promoted beyond their capabilities (Drucker).  I met them when they were on their way down  ;D

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »
Mr B and I are celebrating our Ruby Wedding anniversary this month and thoughts have turned to a holiday later in the near.  We have a fancying for Northern Cyprus, perhaps Kyrenia.  Has anyone been there?  If so, do you have any suggestions, comments or advice for us?  Can you suggest a decent travel operator who deals with Northern Cyprus?  I've looked at a few and they all seem a bit of a muchness.  I was wondering if one in particular was better than the others.

:D :D

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 05:22:44 PM »
you never did say who and where for 2012?
[/quote

It's on page 1  JR 

July 17 nighter ex southampton on the Ventura for P&O's 175 year celebration chose this as it stopps in Venice and Dubrovnic and we haven't been there.
October 14 nighter ex southampton on the Indy round Med

We are currently waiting for April to see when, how long, and how much, for Indy's transatlantic back from states to southampton.
Hubby has also mentioned alaska again as the first time we did this we had no luggage!!! Ruined the cruise and Vancouver stay (Heathrowe cock up!! but they blamed Manchester!)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:26:24 PM by Old Cruser »

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 06:03:18 PM »
You're on the Grand Event???? Nice one! Had we not already booked we might have looked at that though the ships we would have booked weren't going to sunny destinations.
Done Venice twice on Oriana and Azura (and Dubrovnik for that matter) PM me if you want any advice / tips

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 06:57:17 PM »

Yes we are going on the grand event andf are travelling down to southampton early and having 2 nights in a hotel so we can have a look araound (plus we thought traffic into southampton would be really busy on the day!

Thanks I will!! Especially Venice as  we are not sure what to do there, (maybe a ships tour and a trip in a gondola?

Never been on the Ventura so hoping it's ok, won't use it again if not. I liked the old Arty even with it's juddering  ;)
Having said that after cruising on the Navigator of the seas I said that was a bit too big for me and definately wouldn't go any bigger, couldn't fault the ship, staff entertainment etc but just the size of it.
Last year my daughter and partner asked us to go with them on the Indy which is bigger than Navigator and to be honest I couldn't fault it and really enjoyed it.
We used the Brilliance of the seas for the Dubai to India last March/April and although it was 'ok' we didn't think it was quite 'up to scratch' but did still enjoy the cruise.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:01:48 PM by Old Cruser »

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »
Just for the record.
I have a postcard sent from Southampton, by passengers, just hours before this liner set sail on her maiden voyage.

http://www.oceanlinermuseum.co.uk/Oriana%20History.htm

I'll try and find it and post the pics.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 08:10:38 PM »

Yes we are going on the grand event andf are travelling down to southampton early and having 2 nights in a hotel so we can have a look araound (plus we thought traffic into southampton would be really busy on the day!

Thanks I will!! Especially Venice as  we are not sure what to do there, (maybe a ships tour and a trip in a gondola?

Never been on the Ventura so hoping it's ok, won't use it again if not. I liked the old Arty even with it's juddering  ;)
Having said that after cruising on the Navigator of the seas I said that was a bit too big for me and definately wouldn't go any bigger, couldn't fault the ship, staff entertainment etc but just the size of it.
Last year my daughter and partner asked us to go with them on the Indy which is bigger than Navigator and to be honest I couldn't fault it and really enjoyed it.
We used the Brilliance of the seas for the Dubai to India last March/April and although it was 'ok' we didn't think it was quite 'up to scratch' but did still enjoy the cruise.

we've done 6 out of the 8 ports in the last 2 years. I will pm you

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »
Here's a shot of the liner

Taken from this website.

http://www.ssmaritime.com/oriana-b.htm

I emailed the website owner scans of the original postcard, but he never got back to me.
Just can't find the scans or the post card right now  >:(

mycul

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »
SORRY, got you all beat, Heathrow, Hong Kong , Melbourne, Aukland, Tauranga, Sidney, Bangkock, Heathrow.
4 weeks of rest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk