Author Topic: What a waste!  (Read 634 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
What a waste!
« on: October 11, 2022, 06:49:30 PM »
So, Damien Hirst has decided to 'make a statement' by burning his paintings of coloured dots, which are/we're reported to be worth millions.

Wouldn't he have done better to have auctioned them off, and donated the proceeds to various charities (and earned some street cred in the process)?

Your thoughts (please show your workings in the margins)!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: What a waste!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 08:16:28 PM »
Once again this brings us onto the subject of defining art.

They say {and it must apply to art} "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but I put most of his works into the "Need to go to Specsavers" column. It was the same with Tracey Emin and her bed, walk into any bedroom in the u.k. any morning and basically you will see the same work of art, walk onto any building site and see the "pile of bricks" exhibit. Anthony Gormley's Angel of the North is another, it's just a large "organised" pile of scrap metal. Banksey is another one, and what about that chap on the news the other day who has spent literally years doodling over every part of his {large} house.

If we didn't have art critics telling us what we are supposed to like then 90% of these so called artists would not exist, they would not have a career, and so much money.
We all remember on That's life tv programme when they got chimpanzees to daub paint over canvasses and opened an exhibition with them and invited "Art critics" to come and judge these new artists work, obviously not telling them who had actually painted them, it was painful to watch them interviewing these critics, especially after when they told them the truth.

I know what I like in art and as for most of this modern stuff........ well the fire is the best place for it.   
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 06:22:41 PM »
I've no idea what his artwork is like. I go for the oldie type of Paintings
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

wollygobble

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 06:12:04 PM »
DH and his buyers believe that he's destroyed his art but not its value, by converting it into non-fungible tokens.  NFTs are like the King's New Clothes.  To a wise man, they are worth a lot of money, but to a fool, they are nothing.  Or is it the other way round?  There's a hint in an old saying: "A ???? and his money are soon parted".
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 06:21:12 PM by wollygobble »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk