Author Topic: Question time  (Read 817 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Question time
« on: October 27, 2023, 12:12:33 PM »
I watched last nights question time on the beeb. On the panel was the local Tory candidate Lee Rowley and as the questions, among others,  ranged from Gaza to renting/buying property he basically had the cr*p kicked out of him as regards the parties line, his responses were weak to say the least and it got to the point where you could tell he wished he hadn't gone on.

You could tell he had been wheeled out to promote the Tory party and their policies possibly because no one else wanted to do it.
That's the trouble with q/t nowadays, your only getting the Z listers on there now instead of some of the "top brass" in politics.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: Question time
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 11:58:29 AM »
Tagging onto this post I am alarmed at hearing of Israeli/ Palestinian protests starting to get out of hand in THIS country.

I understand both sides concerns over the conflict, especially those living here who have relatives living in Gaza etc, but turning our country and others into mini war zones by letting so called peaceful protests get out of hand is not the answer. This should be stamped out immediately and the instigators swiftly dealt with.

If people want to protest very strongly over the conflict then go and do it over there.......not here.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 06:42:59 PM »
The Israel Palestine war is very concerning. I agree with you it shouldn't be brought onto our streets.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 01:09:50 AM »
Why throw mice into UK McDonalds?
The Israeli McD's that were giving away free food to Israeli troops are run by an Israeli franchise.
Half wits disrupting people who have nothing to do with the conflict !!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 08:19:21 PM »
Without getting to deep into discussions over Gaza, and I stress I'm not on anyone's side one way or another, it's just M H O.
Everyone it seems is obviously looking for an end to the hostilities, rightly so, but it seems Israel cannot do right for doing wrong.

Whatever grievances there are between Israel and the Palestinians historically, Israel is being targeted as the aggressors when in fact they didn't start this latest conflict, they are dealing with a military group {Hamas} that have said there will never be peace and are the sworn enemy of Israel, so trying to organise "peace talks" in the future looks a none starter.
Palestinians are being killed in their thousands because the rebels hide themselves amongst innocent civilians, ergo civilian deaths will be  unavoidable, a catastrophe yes but none the less unavoidable.
Collateral damage is NOT new {right from the Greek wars to WW2 through to Vietnam} I'm sure if Israel could think of a way to destroy Hamas WITHOUT causing civilian deaths they would implement it.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2023, 10:21:42 PM »
I won't ever understand why people can't accept others religion and life style. The world is big enough for everyone.
What all of these people from both sides is horrendous.. we are fortunate it is not us who are living this nightmare.
I've been to Jerusalem  and  Israel and although it was interesting I also found it a sad experience.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 08:30:20 PM »
I won't ever understand why people can't accept others religion and life style. The world is big enough for everyone.

I agree O.C. religion does play and has played a huge part in starting conflicts, especially in the Middle eastern regions, I'm afraid to say even if it were possible to outlaw religion in the world they would STILL find something to argue about.
Humans have been fighting one another down the Millennia, many times without even a "good" reason, and centuries later we are no further forward towards world peace. The only time there is a vacuum where peace can be negotiated is unfortunately after a long bloody conflict.

The sad thing is that when Gaza {and Ukraine} are finally at peace it will just kick off again somewhere else in the world.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 11:31:07 AM »
After watching last nights Question time the usual topic arose concerning Gaza. Jill Kirby {columnist} was on the panel and she pretty much said {or tried to say} what I was thinking but she got shouted down.
Everybody is screaming about the high death rate in Gaza {rightly so} and why isn't there an immediate ceasefire, but from what I can see of the situation is yes Netanyahu firstly wants revenge but also to be rid of Hamas. He's possibly seen what happened in the previous conflicts concerning Saddam Hussien and Gaddafi years ago, forces went in and "liberated" the countries and toppled the dictators then just left leaving a vacuum so the rebels who were routed were able to return and those countries are virtually back to square one, all that time money and moreover lives lost and for what.
M.H.O.
I believe Netanyahu's philosophy is not to get into that situation, he sees it's his job to annihilate Hamas completely and avoid Hamas ever returning by completely wiping them out at any cost, and as everybody can witness it's not easy and it's bloody.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 07:44:38 PM »
There seems to be some progress as regards a ceasefire as talks continue in Paris and elsewhere.

M.H.O.
Hamas is getting round the negotiating table mainly because Gaza is overrun by Israeli soldiers who have a strategic strangle hold on Gaza therefore stifling Hamas, in other words Hamas is getting it's butt kicked. Hamas needs to take stock and the only way they can do that is to create a breathing space by playing along and stalling for time at the talks {i.e. a ceasefire} so they can regroup. I don't think Hamas really knew what behemoth they had awoken in Israel when they raided in October, but they certainly know now and they are paying the price along with many thousands of innocent people on both sides.

Hamas has always said it is the sworn enemy of Israel, so the upshot is why should Israel give them an inch!.......How is it going to end? it's anyone's guess, but you can rest assured the killing will continue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk