Author Topic: Dry January Are you up for the Dry January challenge?  (Read 3025 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Dry January Are you up for the Dry January challenge?
« on: January 02, 2015, 04:22:02 PM »
Anyone up for this challenge?
How hard or easy would it be for the individual?

Registration form at the bottom of the page if you want to join.
There is also a Face Book page - Dry January.

We're challenging residents to manage a month without booze as part of the 31 day "Dry January" campaign being run by national charity Alcohol Concern.

Dry January encourages people to stop drinking alcohol for the first month of the year and last year more than 17,000 people took part.

By signing up to the Dry January website people can find advice and support to help them take a break from booze including tasty alcohol-free mocktail recipes, a quiz and a unit calculator. They can also sign up to get their effort sponsored in aid of Alcohol Concern.

Feeling healthier, saving money and losing weight are just three of the benefits that people can expect to experience if they take part in the challenge.

Cabinet Member for Health and Communities Councillor Dave Allen said:

"Dry January is not about stopping drinking for ever − it's a chance to reset after the excesses of the festive season and see the benefits of cutting back a little.

"Stopping drinking for a month has many benefits such as losing weight and feeling like you have a lot more energy − as well as saving money of course."

The campaign is aimed at people who may have got into the habit of having a pint or two during the week or a glass of wine each evening and aims to have a long lasting effect on the way they think about the amount of alcohol they drink.

Councillor Dave Allen added:

"Without even realising it it's easy to drink more than the recommended limits and that can lead to long term health issues such as heart disease, stroke, liver disease, depression, dementia and cancer.

"This campaign is not about giving up alcohol forever − it's about drinking in moderation and many people who've taken part before said they've been surprised by the results."

https://registration.dryjanuary.org.uk/
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: Dry January Are you up for the Dry January challenge?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 06:04:13 PM »
Still got some Bailey's to finish

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:20:32 PM »
"Stopping drinking for a month has many benefits such as losing weight and feeling like you have a lot more energy − as well as saving money of course."
I'm not skint, over weight, or unfit. So I'll give it a miss  ;D

Hic  ^-^

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 08:06:29 PM »
looks like a no then.
OK will do it on my own  :(

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 08:32:47 PM »
Pass.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

emmz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 11:20:57 PM »
Most months are dry for me I very rarely drink, i dont smoke either....I eat far too much but heh what you gonna do.
The most i will drink is on a very very rare night out or for 1 night in june when I go to walsall to see a few friends....

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 10:42:20 AM »
I'm not a regular weekly drinker either Emmz except over Christmas and New year when we seem to have a drink most nights.
 Thing is I find at the end of this period the hardest not to succumb to having a glass in the evenings ( maybe it's the dark nights? )
I have to make a conscious effort to put the drinks away and leave them there.

@ nicheuk you are right about the binge drinking which seems to have taken over. I cannot under stand these shot things that are knocked straight back - where do they get enjoyment in it?

Having lost a relative younger than me some years ago to alcohol I do get concerned by the number of heavy drinking which goes on. I also know of another family member by marriage who is nearing the 'end of life stage' due to this, such a shame for a young person.

Lets not forget as well that it does have it's long term problems as we get older as in memory loss.

All in moderation is the best eh !

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 02:43:51 PM »
Even though I won't be joining in OC, I still think it's a great idea.  I'm not much of a drinker, though on the Forum Night Out I had a pint or two of lager which in actual fact (in volume) is just about a month's drinking in one night for me!  I normally have two small glasses of red wine on a Friday evening and that's me done till the following week.

I hope lots of people WILL take up the challenge though as the benefits will be enormous not only in terms of health, but in the pocket too.  If you potted all the savings it could just about cover a holiday deposit for some folks.

Whoever takes it up I wish you well and I'll be supportive if you need sponsorship.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk