Author Topic: DCC - We're set to consider two refugee resettlement posts 16 May 2016  (Read 2213 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
More in my next post as this a bit long.

We're to consider setting up two temporary posts to manage the resettlement of Syrian refugees in response to the Government's appeal for us and our partner organisations to support its national scheme.

If approved, the recruitment of a Syrian resettlement coordinator and a project support officer to manage the Derbyshire scheme would be met by Government funding.

Over the next five years 20,000 Syrians will be resettled across the UK and we, along with other local authorities, have been asked by the Government to offer them a home as part of its Vulnerable Person Resettlement Scheme (VPRS).

We've joined up with district and borough councils, health colleagues, police, voluntary and community groups and other agencies to respond to the Government plans.

They've all agreed in principle to develop a scheme in Derbyshire and have asked us to coordinate, develop and implement it.

Our Cabinet Member for Health and Communities Councillor Dave Allen said:

"The Government has asked us to support this resettlement scheme and we've agreed to welcome a small number of refugee families to Derbyshire.

"This process will take careful and detailed planning which is why we need to consider recruiting two officers on behalf of the Derbyshire partnership to design and develop a resettlement scheme.

"Many other UK councils have already pledged their support and we have agreed to do our fair share too and work in partnership with other councils and agencies to do what we can to help."

The recruitment of a Syrian VPRS resettlement coordinator and a project support officer, for a period of 12 months, will be considered at our Health and Communities Cabinet and Chief Officer Meeting on Tuesday 24 May 2016.

If approved, the officers would be based at County Hall in Matlock and form part of the wider Safer Derbyshire Partnership. The cost would ultimately be met by Government funding.

A full report outlining the initial development of the resettlement scheme and details of longer term plans is currently being drafted and will be considered by our Cabinet in the next few weeks.

The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
So we are to 'do our bit' here in Derbyshire by housing and welcoming a small number of refugees, we are not as yet told 'where' the refugees will be housed.
I suspect some won't be happy - any thoughts?

Supporting Syrian refugees in Derbyshire
Derbyshire councils are joining up with health colleagues, voluntary and community groups and other agencies to respond to Government plans to expand its Syrian vulnerable person resettlement scheme (VPRS).

Over the next five years 20,000 Syrians will be resettled across the UK and along with other local authorities we've been asked by the Government to offer them a home.

We've agreed to welcome 50 refugees who will be relocated within their family groups in Derbyshire.

Our Leader Councillor Anne Western said:

"We cannot imagine the danger and distress these people face every day. Death and suffering on this scale should not be happening and we need to act.

"The Government has asked us to support this resettlement scheme and we've agreed to welcome a small number of refugee families to Derbyshire because it's the right thing to do.

"It's nothing more than doing our fair share and we'll be working alongside other councils and local agencies to do what we can to help them."

Number of Syrian refugees coming to Derbyshire and when

We'll welcome 50 refugees in two intakes of 25. This will give us an idea of the resources required for resettlement.

They are likely to arrive in family groups of between four and six people. At the moment, we don't know when they'll arrive.

Where the refugees will live

Currently five Derbyshire district and borough councils have agreed to rehome refugee families. They'll be housed in areas with the greatest number of social rented properties and we're working closely with housing providers to find suitable accommodation.

Where the refugees come from and who they are

Refugees will be taken directly from camps in the countries neighbouring Syria through a controlled form process via the Home Office and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

Priority is being given to people who can't continue to live safely in their own country. These include women, children and young people at risk, people in severe need of medical care, survivors of torture and violence, refugees with medical needs or disabilities and people at risk due to their sexual orientation.

Cost of relocation scheme and who will pay for it

The Government has approved funding for five years. After this, support requirements are likely to be minimal.

Jobs and benefits

Refugees will be granted a five-year humanitarian protection visa. This will allow them to apply for jobs and any welfare benefits they may be entitled to in the same way as other Derbyshire residents.

GPs, dentists and school places

Our refugees will be granted a five-year humanitarian protection visa which entitles them to the same health and educational benefits as other Derbyshire residents.

Looking after the refugees when they arrive

The people who need rehoming will be vulnerable and have complex issues. We'll create two officer posts to support the coordination of the resettlement scheme. These will be paid for by Government funding.

We'll also commission a support service to work with the refugees on a day-to-day basis to help them settle and integrate into their new community. This will also be met by Government funding.

Unaccompanied children

There are currently no plans to receive unaccompanied children in Derbyshire although we may be asked to support their relocation following a Government review of the issue.

Many children in care in Derbyshire are looking for safe, secure and loving homes. You can find out more about fostering and adoption opportunities (opens in a new window) with us.

Health and security checks

Derbyshire's five Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) will lead on health issues for the refugee relocation programme.

This will involve ensuring refugees have access to local health services and have undergone checks including immunisations and screening for infectious diseases.

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) carries out a series of checks, including a robust identification process, before referring a refugee to the resettlement scheme.

The Home Office carries out further screening, including medical and security checks, before entry to the UK.

The Home Office have the right to reject potential refugees on security, war crime or other grounds.

By the time a UNHCR-referred refugee arrives in the UK they have been through a two-stage vetting process so the Government has a clear record of who is entering the country.

How long refugees will stay in Derbyshire

Refugees will have the right to apply to stay permanently in the UK after five years if they choose to do so.

What to do if you're concerned about a relocated refugee

If you have any concerns, you can speak to our Syrian vulnerable person relocation scheme coordinators once they are in post.

You can help

Many charities and organisations are to provide help and assistance to refugees and asylum seekers. These include:

British Red Cross Appeal (opens in a new window)
Oxfam (opens in a new window)
Save the Children's Child Refugee Crisis Appeal (opens in a new window)
Refugee Council Crisis Appeal (opens in a new window)
UNHCR's Emergency Appeal (opens in a new window)
UNICEF (opens in a new window)
The World Food Programme (opens in a new window)
Refugee Action's Emergency Appeal (opens in a new window)
Volunteering to help refugees

Several charities and organisations are working with refugees across the UK. To find out more about volunteering opportunities in your area (opens in a new window) visit the National Council for Voluntary Organisations.

Offering a property

If you're a landlord who would like to offer accommodation please contact your housing authority which is your local district or borough council.

who can tell

• View Profile
Translation here: More mouths to feed, more crime on the way, free for all on benefits and the NHS , cheap labour well done Cameron !
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Translation here: More mouths to feed, more crime on the way, free for all on benefits and the NHS , cheap labour well done Cameron !
A former Syrian colleague of mine came here over 10 years ago (still a mate on facebook) and is a proper gem.Speaks English with a Geordie slant.If they all fit in like that I have no problems.
At least he made the effort to integrate and was grateful for the chance to make his life here with his family & work and pay his taxes accordingly.
That's what immigration should be about in my honest opinion.
However, Mr Cameron is not doing himself any favours at the moment in my opinion. :-X
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

mycul

• View Profile
I'm sorry but this is where I get thrown off the forum.
For hundreds of years we as GREAT BRITAIN have taken in other people. whether it be Jews, French aristocrats,  people that suffered under Hitler, people that suffered under Idi Armin or what ever.  I'm sorry but we are a small nation we can not take you any more. It's a smaller land mass we can't take anymore.
O.K., so we see more nowadays through media but I can't remember any of the world's problems being blamed on us before. Why don't we take the same stance as our commonwealth cousins, don't belong here F**k off. I want to live in New Zealand. I can't because I can't buy property and support myself so I'm stuck.

Please don't give me the line that these poor people are being bombed and chucked out of their homes. They are being bombed by their own people. It's called tribal warfare, I'm 66 years old and I remember when the globe was painted red, we never had trouble.

When did you last see a leader of a country on tele saying Oh look at me I'm poor and impoverished and he is wearing a suit made by Saville Row? And by the way can I have a few more millions to pump up my bank balance.

Went down to London the other weekend to attend a conference on what we could do to help ex service men and women, I have never heard so many different languages on the street, and they were not tourists.

I am glad that I am 66 because my kids and grandkids will have to put up this crap not me. Why don't we leave the EU, leave NATO, leave everything, as I said before we are GREAT BRITAIN.

To answer previous posts, yes I am happy to see people come here, but only if they can support themselves and contribute and integrate. But problems lead to ghettos Darnall in Sheffield is Pakistan, Broomhall. Broomhill  is Asian or Somalia, Tinsley is becoming East European this is not integration. I  can't remember if we had problems with Italians, Poles after WWII or the Afro Caribbean's in the 50s or indeed the immigrants from India and Bangladesh in the 60s and 70s When did you hear of the Chinese in this country saying I'm a minority I am being pick on. no, they put down there heads and worked hard, integrated and became part of our culture.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Thrown off for what ?    ;)

I agree with some of your points too  :)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

who can tell

• View Profile
Mycul points are ture especially about how Sheffield has changed over the last ten years from a great city to a hell hole where guns on the streets are common . If you say anything about these people you get called ' racists' even if you are starting the facts and logic. Britain is only a small island nation with limited resources once they are gone their gone we need to sort out our house big time stop this endless sea of immigrants pouring though our door. Vote out or pay the price in the long term.

who can tell

• View Profile
A former Syrian colleague of mine came here over 10 years ago (still a mate on facebook) and is a proper gem.Speaks English with a Geordie slant.If they all fit in like that I have no problems.
At least he made the effort to integrate and was grateful for the chance to make his life here with his family & work and pay his taxes accordingly.
That's what immigration should be about in my honest opinion.
However,  Mr Cameron is not doing himself any favours at the moment in my opinion. :-X
Great but can we substance this level of immigrantion in the long term 20, 000 are on the way.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Mycul has touched a nerve.Too little too late I would say.

Yes, I guess we have to take our share of refugees and pay for them.

Moreover, the sooner we quit the EU, the better. They are quietly continuing to do the job that Germany failed twice to do in my opinion in bulldozing their ways into our politics & destroying Westminsters powers.
Virtually no self governance anymore.
Answer me this - why would they want an EU army when Nato has been effective for all these years.They just want us to become a European superstate with unelected buerocrats  dictating what we can or can't do.
Call me patriotic or racist but I believe in Britain and the one and only chance to cut off this useless bunch of unelected tossers that dictate our everyday is to cast your vote on June 23rd.
Hopefully, we might get some sense of normality back after that.
You see so many stories of us "giving way" to minority immigrants for fear of upsetting them! Can I please ask why? :-?
I would not by choice emigrate to another country and ask them to build a Christian church for my worship (atheist anyway), nor would I seek to impose my culture in someone else's homeland. You integrate and fit in.Learn the language and so on.
We should be proud to be British and we can be great again.
Let's be selfish for once and look after ourselves rather than everyone else and stop bleeding ?350 million a week to the EU that could be better spent at home because I believe it's crippling our nation currently.
I've said too much, but I've been honest with you so please digest and think carefully how you vote on June 23rd because we only have this one chance to address this issue. You can vote the Government in or out - NOT THE EU - they are unelectable!
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Previous comments by members have actually stated what many people think but dare not say because of being thought  'racist' Which wouldn't be true. It's like - how many children do we have - how many can we afford to keep on income coming in.
Only it's on a much larger scale.

Maybe at this present time the UK is 'saturated'  by population?

Families planned for Derbyshire are but a few and as a 'Christian' nation we do what 'Christians' are supposed to do -  Jesus did this and was Crucified for his efforts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk