Author Topic: Is The Royal Oak Shambles A community asset if not how you go about it?  (Read 10535 times)

who can tell

• View Profile
I often pop in the Oak for a pint or two the pub has changed hands a lot recently is the pub a community asset already ?
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Is The Royal Oak Shambles A community asset if not how you go about it?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:42:06 PM »
Isn't this the pub which was said to be closing - but it was just a change of owners
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 09:34:03 PM »
Yes the Royal Oak has a new landlady called Helen she also has the Bulls Head at Old Whittington . Helen was offered the Crooked Spire pub but refused it , all of three pubs are Enterprise Inns pub group. The last landlady did a bunk taking the parts of the upstairs kitchen with them so at present theirs no food available . The Oak has had many landlords come and go due to rent and other costs in running the pub. It's one of Chesterfield's better pubs but its like everything else its down to money.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
I don't really go in pubs these days and have only been in the Royal Oak once years ago had some great fish and chips though.
It's probably people such as me who are partly to blame for the closing down of so many pubs.

It does need to be kept open, being in the Shambles it's part of our history - be a shame to see it shut down. what's it like inside these days?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:31:27 AM by Old Cruser »

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 06:01:36 PM »
I don't really go in pubs these days and have only been in the Royal Oak once years ago had some great fish and chips though.
It's probably people such as me who are partly to blame for the closing down of so many pubs.

It does need to be kept open, being in the Shambles it's part of our history - be a shame to see it shut down. what's it like inside these days?
The inside protected Iv been told so I doubt much changed inside wise. I don't go in many others and that one next to butchers looks less than inviting. Where I live at Arbourthorne most have closed or a bit too tough for my liking.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 06:12:14 PM »
The inside protected Iv been told so I doubt much changed inside wise. I don't go in many others and that one next to butchers looks less than inviting. Where I live at Arbourthorne most have closed or a bit too tough for my liking.

Butchers? which pub do you mean WCT?

Arbourthorne - have never heard of it is it this side of Sheffield?
Sounds as if you would have been better staying in Newbold  ;)

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »
Looks the Royal Oak has closed again . Arbourthorne is OK it's not on the Chesterfield side though more towards East end. The pub near the butchers is called Crown and Cushion I think I will pass on that one!

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 07:37:51 PM »
Back open  ;D

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 07:00:41 PM »
I often pop in the Oak for a pint or two the pub has changed hands a lot recently is the pub a community asset already ?

Going back to your original question - How to make this pub an asset Keep the inside as original as possible to when it was built? Give a choice of foods which were eaten back then - and not forgetting the Ale - what type was it and what were the drinking vessels like back then?
What do you think?

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 10:12:01 PM »
Going back to your original question - How to make this pub an asset Keep the inside as original as possible to when it was built? Give a choice of foods which were eaten back then - and not forgetting the Ale - what type was it and what were the drinking vessels like back then?
What do you think?
I'm not up on the pubs past but Iv been told the building itself is listed and that Enterprises Inns own it. Their is a guy who been going in since 1959 told me a man hung himself in their . Asset part relates to the pub business and preventing it becoming another business. It's possible that Enterprise can sell the building and a change of use can happen unless it's a community asset.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 10:15:07 AM »
I'm not up on the pubs past but Iv been told the building itself is listed and that Enterprises Inns own it. Their is a guy who been going in since 1959 told me a man hung himself in their . Asset part relates to the pub business and preventing it becoming another business. It's possible that Enterprise can sell the building and a change of use can happen unless it's a community asset.

That is why maybe bringing some originality and some our history would maybe keep punters going in it would hopefully make it an asset  - bring people from other towns - remember the large Banqueting Hall which was so popular - we had to eat with our fingers and were served by staff dressed fitting to the time.

You will have to help me out here though as I can't remember the name of the place?

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 07:37:57 PM »
That is why maybe bringing some originality and some our history would maybe keep punters going in it would hopefully make it an asset  - bring people from other towns - remember the large Banqueting Hall which was so popular - we had to eat with our fingers and were served by staff dressed fitting to the time.

You will have to help me out here though as I can't remember the name of the place?
  I think the real problem is prices, in Sheffield pubs were every were in fact one was not far from me but most have gone now the area were I live now is mostly a council estate so money is very tight. I can't see pubs in Chesterfield fairing better to be honest. I left Chesterfield in 2002 to live at Sheffield I dont recall a Banqueting hall type place in town . When I do go to Chesterfield its to meet with friends at the Oak.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 08:35:19 PM »
  I think the real problem is prices, in Sheffield pubs were every were in fact one was not far from me but most have gone now the area were I live now is mostly a council estate so money is very tight. I can't see pubs in Chesterfield fairing better to be honest. I left Chesterfield in 2002 to live at Sheffield I recall a Banqueting dont hall type place in town . When I do go to Chesterfield its to meet with friends at the Oak.

I'm talking 60's 70's WCT - and maybe on the Chesterfield/ Sheffield border. Sure someone will know on here

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 11:23:39 PM »
I'm talking 60's 70's WCT - and maybe on the Chesterfield/ Sheffield border. Sure someone will know on here
Rings no bells at all. Problem is so much comes and goes.

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 12:13:35 AM »
I remember such a place, but not it's name. It was some kind of banqueting hall - it'll come to me.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk