Author Topic: Ghost Town  (Read 3663 times)

who can tell

• View Profile
Ghost Town
« on: December 18, 2015, 07:37:16 PM »
When I visit Chesterfield something else has shut down and the market is slowly thinning down . Perhaps a reflection of the times we live in and lack of money welcome to ghost town Chesterfield.
Ex Newbold ex Arbourthorne, Sheffield now sunny Dronfield.

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: Ghost Town
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 08:34:48 PM »
The Thursday market is always busy.

I think Chesterfield suffers from the same fate as other towns with the retail parks dominating the shopping scene on the outskirts of town. The town centres are all pretty much the same.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 09:40:51 PM »
From a taxi drivers side on things, it's been just as busy this last couple of weeks as any other pre christmas time.
Maybe not as busy as 10-15 years ago, but town's changed lots.
As for people complaining about parking, it's not stopping them queueing up like lemons gridlocking the town to get into the car parks  ::)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 06:53:02 PM »
When I visit Chesterfield something else has shut down and the market is slowly thinning down . Perhaps a reflection of the times we live in and lack of money welcome to ghost town Chesterfield.

How do the Sheffield Markets fare against Chesterfield WCT ?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 10:05:40 PM »
How do the Sheffield Markets fare against Chesterfield WCT ?
The new Moor Market that replaced Castle Market is struggling many of the old traders didn't move to the Moor either over fears of high rents. The Moor Market is a bit busier with Christmas but most of the time it limps a long it's a shame the new building is better than the old down at the heel market on Waingate. Perhaps when the Moor is completed and the new cinema is open together with the new planned retail quarter is finally built things might look up. The old Castle Market had plenty of buses that run passed it very easy to get too the Moor Market has only a few buses that run by so many of the old customers don't go because it would cost more in bus fare. The old customer base of Castle Market hasn't moved with it. Chesterfield market has only one busy day that Thursday rest of the time it's dead perhaps markets are a outdated idea?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 10:25:38 AM »
Maybe they are an outdated idea but plenty like a bargain.
The pound shops have taken over in this area and maybe the stall rentals?

I used to shop around the market in Town most weekends, these days, apart from fruit and veg I don't buy anything.
Spreading the market around town isn't I don't think helpful - it would look so much better if they were all brought back into the square and maybe more inviting for people to shop?

I stayed over night in Sheffield a couple of years ago and they had a street Market with the stalls adorned with Christmas Lights and Father Christmas in his Grotto.

A lovely tourist attraction and atmosphere.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 07:39:10 PM »
Maybe they are an outdated idea but plenty like a bargain.
The pound shops have taken over in this area and maybe the stall rentals?

I used to shop around the market in Town most weekends, these days, apart from fruit and veg I don't buy anything.
Spreading the market around town isn't I don't think helpful - it would look so much better if they were all brought back into the square and maybe more inviting for people to shop?

I stayed over night in Sheffield a couple of years ago and they had a street Market with the stalls adorned with Christmas Lights and Father Christmas in his Grotto.

A lovely tourist attraction and atmosphere.
Sheffield Christmas market is popular and is on this week along Fargate.

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 10:06:07 PM »
The new Moor Market that replaced Castle Market is struggling many of the old traders didn't move to the Moor either over fears of high rents. The Moor Market is a bit busier with Christmas but most of the time it limps a long it's a shame the new building is better than the old down at the heel market on Waingate. Perhaps when the Moor is completed and the new cinema is open together with the new planned retail quarter is finally built things might look up. The old Castle Market had plenty of buses that run passed it very easy to get too the Moor Market has only a few buses that run by so many of the old customers don't go because it would cost more in bus fare. The old customer base of Castle Market hasn't moved with it. Chesterfield market has only one busy day that Thursday rest of the time it's dead perhaps markets are a outdated idea?

I give the cinema 12 months before it closes.

You can go to Centertainment or Meadowhall and get free parking.  To park for a couple of hours in Sheffield is over £5.

Unless they do something like a parking refund when you use the cinema, it wont work.  I hope it works, I just cant see it.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 11:22:31 PM »
Work has started on the new Moor cinema , their is a car park near by the market building but you have to pay to use it. As with the market not many buses run by and the Moor has a reputation has not been safe at night ( a hangover from years ago when the Moor had a spate of muggings) . Also near the City Hall their is a cinema but not very good  and is set to close. Lastly there's a independent cinema on Charter Square area never been a bit arty film thing no idea if that is popular not heard anything recently so that may have closed too.

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 01:59:08 PM »
Work has started on the new Moor cinema , their is a car park near by the market building but you have to pay to use it. As with the market not many buses run by and the Moor has a reputation has not been safe at night ( a hangover from years ago when the Moor had a spate of muggings) . Also near the City Hall their is a cinema but not very good  and is set to close. Lastly there's a independent cinema on Charter Square area never been a bit arty film thing no idea if that is popular not heard anything recently so that may have closed too.

Yes, APCOA or 'kit kat car park'.  My point being they need to make parking cheaper or free.

There are plenty of buses running at the bottom of the Moor and also up Furnival Gate, its just they cant possibly cover all service routes in a fairly small location.  The tram is also nowhere near, closest being West Street.

Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

who can tell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 07:11:15 PM »
Yes, APCOA or 'kit kat car park'.  My point being they need to make parking cheaper or free.

There are plenty of buses running at the bottom of the Moor and also up Furnival Gate, its just they cant possibly cover all service routes in a fairly small location.  The tram is also nowhere near, closest being West Street. Yes plenty of buses providing you live at the Dore end of the city problem is the markets custom base live in the East End of the city buses not so good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk