Author Topic: Another shop bites the dust  (Read 4051 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Another shop bites the dust
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »
I have wondered that  Sorastro Is it possible they are trying to price the other two companies out of business ?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 03:36:05 PM »
Staying up that neck of the woods.... I have heard that the landlord of the gate at North Wingfield is moving.
The rumour is he is taking over the Dunston {I thought that had closed!!} and the gate is to cease being a public house and become some sort of b&b/ lodging house.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 08:25:17 PM »
It looks neglected from the outside but haven't been in there for many years

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 08:37:29 PM »
Also I forgot to mention the Crown inn at Higham has closed indefinitely. No one seems to know why, it was a case of all of a sudden there he was.... gone! 
It's a great shame, you could always be sure of good grub and a decent pint there. It's been a bit hit and miss for a while apparently, we booked middle of last year and when we got there pinned to the back door was a hastily scribbled note saying sorry no food kitchen closed, so we went to the Greyhound and had a decent meal and we are going back this week but would have preferred the Crown.

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 09:09:33 PM »
The Dunston is part pub and part shop as is the Cricketers.From what I have seen neither of them does very much.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 12:41:08 PM »
Also I forgot to mention the Crown inn at Higham has closed indefinitely. No one seems to know why, it was a case of all of a sudden there he was.... gone! 
It's a great shame, you could always be sure of good grub and a decent pint there. It's been a bit hit and miss for a while apparently, we booked middle of last year and when we got there pinned to the back door was a hastily scribbled note saying sorry no food kitchen closed, so we went to the Greyhound and had a decent meal and we are going back this week but would have preferred the Crown.

I haven't been in the Crown for a good few years but I remember it was on The hotel inspector a few years ago.
We went with friends to the greyhound just before Christmas but were not impressed either by the new menu or the food served so haven't been back.

Enjoyed the Barley Mow in Wingerworth though oh and the Sizzling steak in the Donkey Derby

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2020, 10:22:20 AM »

Been to Clay Cross this morning, had a look on the window of the closed down pound world next to Tesco, there's a notice on it.
Apparently there has been an application made to the council for a licence {amongst other things} to sell alcohol there. the application has been made by none other than Tesco!!

Went back to Tesco yesterday and lo and behold there's sign of movement in the old Pound world shop, and get this!!

The sign in the window says the shop will re open as POUNDLAND

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2020, 10:33:13 AM »

If that's the case O.C. then why compete against themselves? why not just drop the prices in the big store

Good question, I had wondered if they were maybe having it more like a catalogue shop, furniture electrics etcbut now of course we know it's going to be another POUND SHOP  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk