Author Topic: Where's this Church  (Read 9236 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Where's this Church
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 06:13:26 PM »
Here's the pic OC

Yes thank you Fly.
It has been thought that it may have been taken outside what is now the Tupton Fish Bar. The building across is now a shop with no window but the angle is possible right?
So still a question mark as to where it is but a strong possibility?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 06:20:03 PM »
It certainly looks like the same one - only the wall is much closer to the Church in the photograph of my grandfather and there are some pretty old looking grave stone in the picture Fly has found between the wall and the Church??

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
Trust me on this OC it's the right one all right.

Since the old photo and modern images of the church has been taken things have obviously changed

The group in the photo are sat were the gate is now, in the modern photo's the wall is obviously a "new" one, this means some of the grounds might have been extended possibly to the left of the gate. The lady on the far right has a tombstone on her right elbow that seems to match one of the two stones just to the right of the gate [inside] on the new photo also there is now a Cenotaph on the grounds as since the photo was taken we have had to endure two world wars.

The old wall "appears" to be closer but the churchyard slopes down to the church and I think this may have created an optical illusion on the photo.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 05:47:54 PM »
Trust me on this OC it's the right one all right.

Since the old photo and modern images of the church has been taken things have obviously changed

The group in the photo are sat were the gate is now, in the modern photo's the wall is obviously a "new" one, this means some of the grounds might have been extended possibly to the left of the gate. The lady on the far right has a tombstone on her right elbow that seems to match one of the two stones just to the right of the gate [inside] on the new photo also there is now a Cenotaph on the grounds as since the photo was taken we have had to endure two world wars.

The old wall "appears" to be closer but the churchyard slopes down to the church and I think this may have created an optical illusion on the photo.

Well I thank you very much Soretro and Fly for your input.
Much appreciated and yes - I owe you a Pint !  :)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 05:44:46 PM »
I told my aunt about the Church. She was so thrilled  that it has been found he father was one of the young boys :)
Another thank you from Ellen  :)

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 07:06:14 PM »
Just a bit of t.v. trivia.......

We've been catching up on the t.v. series Unforgotten on I think the my5 channel and in one episode a "mother" is talking to her "son" sat at  a beer table. I recognised the pub straight away it was the Snowshill arms with the churchyard opposite.

I know........

I REALLY REALLY do need to get out more!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 08:39:19 PM »

We've been catching up on the t.v. series Unforgotten on I think the my5 channel and in one episode a "mother" is talking to her "son" sat at  a beer table. I recognised the pub straight away it was the Snowshill arms with the churchyard opposite.

I know........

Was it the same Church yard????????

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2021, 09:06:08 AM »
Yes it is........on the old photo is part of a building in the background between the small child and the lady on the far right. This is the pub the Snowshill arms. Obviously on the modern google map at the same angle that background is now obscured by small trees.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2021, 01:54:22 PM »

I know........

I did get out this time....we've just got back from a few days away near the Cotswolds and on checking my trusty road map we found ourselves only a stones throw away from Snowshill village so we popped there really nice little village, parked in the Snowshill pub car park {as seen in the background of the photo} and walked across the road to the church. Sadly the church was closed but a beautiful building, on the old photo I walked from the church door up a slope on the grounds to where your "family" are sat which is where one of the gates is now. I can make out that the tombstone on the ladies elbow is the far right of the two in the modern pictures, the other to it's left is obviously hidden by the child.

Then went into the pub for a quick drink, loads of photo's on the walls of the old village taken about the same time as your photo, didn't stay long {as I was driving} but wouldn't mind spending an evening in the pub.... really worth a visit.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2021, 11:34:34 AM »

I did get out this time....we've just got back from a few days away near the Cotswolds and on checking my trusty road map we found ourselves only a stones throw away from Snowshill village so we popped there really nice little village, parked in the Snowshill pub car park {as seen in the background of the photo} and walked across the road to the church. Sadly the church was closed but a beautiful building, on the old photo I walked from the church door up a slope on the grounds to where your "family" are sat which is where one of the gates is now. I can make out that the tombstone on the ladies elbow is the far right of the two in the modern pictures, the other to it's left is obviously hidden by the child.

Then went into the pub for a quick drink, loads of photo's on the walls of the old village taken about the same time as your photo, didn't stay long {as I was driving} but wouldn't mind spending an evening in the pub.... really worth a visit.

Thanks for the information it sounds a lovely place maybe not spoiled by the years

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2021, 08:13:51 PM »

It would appear I made a mistake over these tombstones. I photographed these on my phone {when there} and forgotten I'd got them so when I finally transferred them onto my old computer and blew them up so I could read the names they can't be the ones on the original photo, as the dates on these are post W.W.1...JANUARY 29th 1929 and MAY 31st 193? respectively.
 Therefore the grounds MUST have been extended.... so the gravestones in the original must be further inside the grounds.
We are going back down that neck of the woods in a couple of weeks time and if we get the opportunity to visit Snowshill again I will try to track down the original stones.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2021, 08:43:26 PM »
It would appear I made a mistake over these tombstones. I photographed these on my phone {when there} and forgotten I'd got them so when I finally transferred them onto my old computer and blew them up so I could read the names they can't be the ones on the original photo, as the dates on these are post W.W.1...JANUARY 29th 1929 and MAY 31st 193? respectively.
 Therefore the grounds MUST have been extended.... so the gravestones in the original must be further inside the grounds.
We are going back down that neck of the woods in a couple of weeks time and if we get the opportunity to visit Snowshill again I will try to track down the original stones.

Blimey thank you for this information, it's intriguing!
My grandfather was in WW1, like many others he signed up before he was of an age to do so, so yes you are right that the gravestone cannot be the one at the back of where they were sitting.
Thank you for the update Sorastro you are very kind  :)

Rheged

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2022, 07:43:31 PM »
Church of St Barnabas
A Grade II Listed Building in Snowshill, Gloucestershire
It's OK if you don't like me.
Not everyone has good taste!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2022, 11:56:00 PM »
Welcome to Chesterfieldonline Rheged
Nice pic of the church. Is it one you took?
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2022, 03:25:26 PM »
Church of St Barnabas
A Grade II Listed Building in Snowshill, Gloucestershire

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the lovely photograph  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk