Author Topic: Whats Going On In Calow?  (Read 59419 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Whats Going On In Calow?
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2013, 07:54:02 PM »
Is there anywhere else in Calow that would be big enough for a Tesco - anyone?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2013, 08:19:15 PM »
I don't think so - not that we want them in Calow anyway :(
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2013, 08:26:37 PM »
Some do though scimitar.
Someone has posted on here who would welcome one

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2013, 08:43:51 PM »
I saw that too OC - but they've only posted twice, both times supporting the idea, so maybe they've got a different agenda.

What a lot of people don't realise is that Tesco is not a cheap supermarket - although they do have special offers.

But my main objection is the way they are putting the small local businesses out of business.

Another example is the new Hobbycraft shop. As this was announced, A forArt decided to pack it in. Now it's open, just check their prices.

SHOP LOCAL! SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »
Most likely candidate I would think of would be the "Blacksmiths Arms", formerly known as the "Anvil" pub on Blacksmiths Lane,Calow. The Pub is not doing very well apparently & could close soon. It would be a better location in some respects - more central to the real village of Calow, and fewer traffic problems than the former proposed site, i.e. not on a major road, not intrerfering with hospital traffic, but not on a major road so probably unattractive as far as Tesco are concerned.
Alternatively the former Civil service club building near the White Hart pub, but thats not central to Calow.
Don't forget, Calow is a small village - with a hospital on its outskirts.
Tesco might have been handy for those going to the hospital, but would have been largely out of the way for many Calow folk, on foot, especially the senior generation.
Its not all over yet though I suppose :(

SHOP LOCAL - SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2013, 11:42:49 AM »
To me, a premises on the opposite side of the road would be a better bet for Tesco. That way they'd get custom from people coming to work in town and staff and visitors going to The Royal. Come to think of it, isn't there an ideal site with better parking right opposite the Somerset?  ;)

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2013, 07:37:43 PM »
To me, a premises on the opposite side of the road would be a better bet for Tesco. That way they'd get custom from people coming to work in town and staff and visitors going to The Royal. Come to think of it, isn't there an ideal site with better parking right opposite the Somerset?  ;)
In case you had not noticed,if you have not been through Calow lately, the former CMC bikes is now a car sales.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2013, 08:40:18 PM »
I saw that too OC - but they've only posted twice, both times supporting the idea, so maybe they've got a different agenda.

What a lot of people don't realise is that Tesco is not a cheap supermarket - although they do have special offers.

But my main objection is the way they are putting the small local businesses out of business.

Another example is the new Hobbycraft shop. As this was announced, A forArt decided to pack it in. Now it's open, just check their prices.

SHOP LOCAL! SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS

I understand what you are saying Pete, but there will probably some of Calows population who would welcome any larger store whatever price they had to pay as this woud make life easier if they didn't have to travel into Chesterfield.
Just a shame a smaller retailer coudn't expand

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2013, 07:19:31 AM »
In case you had not noticed,if you have not been through Calow lately, the former CMC bikes is now a car sales.

I had noticed but that's probably on a short lease to get some cash in from a site that's been vacant for quite a while.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2014, 09:22:47 PM »
Looks like Tesco have won this one with the Somerset  :-X
No further comments from me.

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
Can you believe it. Tesco won. Goodbye Somerset House - Hello Tesco!
Gutted.com.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2014, 10:30:25 PM »
No matter how well the pub was/ is doing, a simple signature from some overpaid twonk in a suit helps to ruin our village.
Roll on the Gas Extraction saga. I guess that will get pushed through too.
Come and rape Calow - she's ready for you :(
The same fate for the Crispin in Ashgate no doubt :(
Gutted - my money will still be spent in my local shops though - not Tesco, unless I really have to.
Please feel free to buy a sandwich from "Top Shop" top of Dark Lane Calow, opposite Calow Church. Neil & Vicky have run this shop for decades. They feel the most threatened. Police come from all over Chesterfield to buy their lunch here.That says a lot.
They make their profit largely from Cobs, sandwiches, etc, but should you decide to buy eggs, ham, whatever, it's locally sourced & top notch.Everything else is priced as normal - as bought from the Warehouse- no dearer.
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS & kick Tesco in the nuts.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2014, 10:43:04 PM »
I used to buy my dinner, ham salad cob, from that shop on a regular basis.
Proper Ham, not packet sh** ! 
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

pinfold

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2014, 07:23:16 PM »
I am very glad we are having a TESCO in Calow.  It wouldn't have to be Tesco,  it could be co -op or asda.  But a store selling a proper quality and choice of food.  The current local shops are not good enough for a community of this size. The corner shop sells pies and milk.  What else?  Fags and booze.  This is why they feel threatened by Tesco.  The other shop do their best and work hard, but sometimes the fresh food is beyond its best or something you hoped to get, is not available.And where am I supposed to get dog food? A lot of my pals in this area wanted a Tesco Express, they've told me so, but have preferred to be discreet in their wishes. People who drive, obviously go out of the area to get their food etc. No one relies on these local shops for their needs. Never. I don't believe it. If the local shops survive, good.  But this news has been good news for many.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2014, 08:12:58 PM »
I'm glad Bolsover is getting a Morrisons.
Hence I can't comment too much, I'd hate to sound like a hypocrite Pinfold.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk