Author Topic: Whats Going On In Calow?  (Read 59318 times)

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Whats Going On In Calow?
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2014, 08:37:31 PM »
It's a shame it's happened, despite the overwhelming objection to this proposal.
Nevertheless, I still see further problems in terms of traffic; en route to the Royal Hospital, because parking space will be so limited.
There are no parking restrictions WHATSOEVER on that stretch of the road. So when the small car park is full, they will park on the road.
This will partially block traffic both ways. God forbid theres an accident on the M1 & till they re- route through Calow!
I seem to remember one of the councillors rejecting the original application for that reason alone.
If your critically ill relative is on their way to A&E, & dies because of traffic hold ups.........then your support of the Tesco encroachment in Calow may unwittingly leave a potentially life saving situation impossible.
Enough said - it's going to happen & thats it.
Rant (partially) over, but willing to continue >:(
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2014, 08:46:49 PM »
Maybe they will put double yellow lines on that stretch of the road, is there any and to the sides/back of the building which Tesco's may have also bought?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2014, 08:49:36 PM »
I'm sure I've posted a similiar thing Scimitar. It was after the White Horse take over in New Whit I think.
People will just pull up and park anywhere, like they don't give a s***.
Tesco stuff will be cheaper than stuff in the Hospital :-(

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
I am very glad we are having a TESCO in Calow.  It wouldn't have to be Tesco,  it could be co -op or asda.  But a store selling a proper quality and choice of food.  The current local shops are not good enough for a community of this size. The corner shop sells pies and milk.  What else?  Fags and booze.  This is why they feel threatened by Tesco.  The other shop do their best and work hard, but sometimes the fresh food is beyond its best or something you hoped to get, is not available.And where am I supposed to get dog food? A lot of my pals in this area wanted a Tesco Express, they've told me so, but have preferred to be discreet in their wishes. People who drive, obviously go out of the area to get their food etc. No one relies on these local shops for their needs. Never. I don't believe it. If the local shops survive, good.  But this news has been good news for many.

I find your comments about the "Corner Shop" in particular repulsive. The shop delivers stuff to pensioners who can't get there free of charge. Tesco won't do that. They have local farmers supplying quality meat, eggs, Veg, Bread (Jacksons Bakery - Danesmoor), so they are buying local top quality produce. All reasonably priced. Beers are priced as per the warehouse - the pricing is on the label.
Many other items you buy there are "label priced". Same as you would get from Tesco. :)
Tesco dictate their price to farmers for their suppliers! They think they own suppliers & to a degree, they do. For the sake of quality though, thats wrong. >:(
I have no doubt "Corner Shop", or Top Shop as we know it will survive - because Tesco Express will be no cheaper on the vast majority of items.
Tesco seems to be complacent in its own demise at the moment - long may that continue!!
The "Top Shop" has the personal touch. They go the "extra mile" for the elderly/infirm.  Tesco won't do that. >:(

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
Well said Scimitar.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2014, 09:57:52 PM »
I Think the 'Top Shop' will stand the test of time :-)
Hope I'm right.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2014, 12:35:01 PM »
Maybe they will put double yellow lines on that stretch of the road, is there any and to the sides/back of the building which Tesco's may have also bought?

Sorry that should have read - is there any  LAND  ::)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »
Sticking my neck out as I actually suspect that there will be many more people in Calow who will welcome a larger shop as pinfold says.

I'm not getting into any discussions about corner shops and the quality of their foods.

My post is purely because I think many people would welcome a shop where they have more choices in what they can buy as well as it being much nearer for them to shop.

Sadly the small corner shops are being wiped out by the big boys, I'm not saying I like this one bit, but that's the way we are moving. :(

pinfold

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »
Yes, I know that the top shop is a good shop. It sells good quality stuff. They do a very good job.  Its just that for many people in Calow,
a small supermarket will provide them with all the food etc. they need or want for the week.   

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2014, 03:58:09 PM »
Either way, its going to happen, although there may be a couple of minor planning items to still be addressed.
A lot of people put a lot of effort & time into opposing it, but I suspect once its up & running it will be popular.
I just hope it doesn't impede the already busy road & create unwanted delays for traffic - more importantly ambulances.
Time will tell....
Nuff Said.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
It's a shame it happens to be Tesco - having read a bit about them in the press this week...

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »
Sadly I also think this 'Top Shop' will feel the pinch of this scimitar, which is sad as it is someone livelihood which may well be affected.
The route to the hospital is the one I always use so am hoping that the road and any possible traffic delays will be thwarted from the start.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »
It's a shame it happens to be Tesco - having read a bit about them in the press this week...

Doesn't make for good reading does it Pete. I wasn't at all impressed by this weeks news either.

It's also a shame the Gov. couldn't give the smaller business a helping hand with cash to help them to expand if it's at all possible.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2014, 04:22:51 PM »
The government aren't really interested in small businesses - big businesses are their masters - and they eat and swallow small businesses.

Its like the government are expecting everyone to adopt/agree with a dog eat dog philosophy as commerce seems to rule the planet, not elected people's representatives.

Democracy? Really?

spiderman

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »
I agree that tesco should stop trampling over people that do not want a mini.tesco just corperate bullys, Enterprise inn's who own the Somerset should hang there heads in shame, i do go in the Somerset but not as often as i would like ,nice pub friendly, food is spot on ,couple running it have worked hard and seems to doing very well . Why don't Tesco sod off ! ok its going to create 20 jobs what about the people running the small shops in calow/brimington .
As already said going to be fun when trucks try to deliver with ambulance trying to get past all the idiots who park like numptys....and when the M1 is shut yea,all go through Calow ...gridlock will happen or worse an accident.
and for the record i live on top road and also drive a HGV!
and  i won't be using the mini-tesco

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk