Author Topic: Eyres store to cease trading  (Read 1267 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Eyres store to cease trading
« on: April 20, 2022, 07:34:46 AM »
According to an article in the Derbyshire Times Eyres will not be re-opening:

"In a letter sent to employees, it was revealed that Eyres of Chesterfield had ceased trading with immediate effect.

The letter reads: “Due to the Company being unable to secure critical funding, which was essential to enable necessary and urgent building repairs to be carried out, and for Eyres to proceed with the planned refurbishment, modernisation and re-opening of the store as scheduled, the Company’s ability to meet creditor demands has been severely affected."

I can't say I'm surprised, in fact I said when they closed 'for refurbishment' that I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't shut down.

Its a shame, but they did serve a very niche market.

Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

smithy266

• View Profile
Re: Eyres store to cease trading
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 09:07:01 AM »
It is a shame when any business ceases...however it is a store I had never been in.... I expect it will become another coffee shop...

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 10:21:25 AM »
It was a very expensive shop.
Funnily enough we went into town just the other day and as we sat at the lights outside the shop I said to the wife "I can't see that re opening, no work seems to be being carried out".

I believe on another post I mentioned looking for a dining room table and four chairs a couple of years ago and looked around the store after we had finished our breakfast in poppy's, even though they had a sale on at the time the items I looked at were in the £1000 range and it wasn't all that brilliant to look at, so we got what we wanted from Argos for less than £200

What surprises me is the fact that they managed to stay open this long.

Same as that advert on telly for furniture from Wayfair, it's just overpriced tat.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 10:31:19 AM »
It was a very expensive shop.
Funnily enough we went into town just the other day and as we sat at the lights outside the shop I said to the wife "I can't see that re opening, no work seems to be being carried out".

I believe on another post I mentioned looking for a dining room table and four chairs a couple of years ago and looked around the store after we had finished our breakfast in poppy's, even though they had a sale on at the time the items I looked at were in the £1000 range and it wasn't all that brilliant to look at, so we got what we wanted from Argos for less than £200

What surprises me is the fact that they managed to stay open this long.

Same as that advert on telly for furniture from Wayfair, it's just overpriced tat.

Just remembered they have a shop in Worksop, I wonder if that's going too?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 04:47:22 PM by Fly »

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 11:01:31 AM »
There's an article in the DT saying that some customers have paid a (large) deposit on furniture that hadn't even been ordered from the suppliers, and are now left out of pocket.

Seems to me that the closure has been on the cards for quite some time, and refurbishment was just a sham.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 04:49:37 PM »
We have furniture from there and it is good quality.
We enjoyed Miss poppies as well and I am hoping they may find premises in town somewhere.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Chesterfield 4eva

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 07:40:30 PM »
Expensive shop but shame it's gone. Was a part of chesterfield for so long,. I was just down in chesterfield the other week (born and bred chesterfield till I die moved away at 13 dad's choice) but was hearing what people want the old shop to be a few things that would be useful one a hotel it's big enough and chesterfield needs some more. Old co-op is great to stay in always reminds me of the Santa and toys. Have some great memories of chesterfield. Hope to move back soon.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 12:14:57 PM »
As I suspected.......read in this weeks D.T. that Sports direct are maybe looking to take over the old M&S store when they move.

I still don't understand why M&S are leaving such a {prime} location, it can't be because shopping is on the increase quite the opposite, more and more choose to either shop on line or visit an out of town outlet {or both}

It would be better had M&S stayed where they were and Sports direct move into Debenhams shop, I think that would have been wiser.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk