Author Topic: Chesterfield.. booming town or doss hole!  (Read 5887 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterfield.. booming town or doss hole!
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2023, 09:14:07 AM »
Yes the D.T. is now full of "promises" mainly from the council and others "We're going to do this, we're going to do that,open this, spend that, build this, renovate that...........

The company I worked for many years ago had a slogan which fits this to a T :-

"IT'S ONLY A PROMISE TILL I'TS DELIVERED"

That is spot on!!
When I support residents I ALWAYS say 'I can't promise you as ultimately someone else will have the final say' I do always add that I will do my best to help in anyway i can -  which I do.

Promises come easy to say but the deliverence is much more difficult in some cases.

There's so much waffle out there !!

That's me back off my soap box and I've put it away!!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2023, 08:24:16 PM »
Walked along Burlington street the other day, noticed that the bargain shop {front of Burlington house that used to be Bright house} is or has already has closed down.

I'm actually convinced there's no one at the council knows exactly what to do with Chesterfield
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2023, 08:51:22 PM »
Seen in the DT today online that some people in chesterfield are saying again about shopping in the town. What I still don't get is why? Someone mentioned that Woolies had gone well they all did quite a while ago and the person said that they can't get Christmas gifts in chesterfield? but they can get Christmas cards. Christmas gifts they can't find in one of the following shops tk maxx, b and m, home bargains, the range, boots, Asda, the 24 hour Tesco, the entertainer, Primark, m and s, h&m, etc I'm amazed that someone said they couldn't find a Christmas gift yet look at the shops named and still more to name. Most people if buying gifts at Christmas mainly buy a gift set or perfume or clothes and or toys all of which you can get in chesterfield. 30 miles I had to travel up here in the north east of england just to get to a Primark, m and s or tk maxx etc I still wish I lived near to shops that I could walk to, you don't know how lucky you are. Shopping online yes I can do and helps but you still sometimes have to go to the shop and try things on.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2023, 02:34:09 PM »
Walked along Burlington street the other day, noticed that the bargain shop {front of Burlington house that used to be Bright house} is or has already has closed down.

I'm actually convinced there's no one at the council knows exactly what to do with Chesterfield

In town the other day, another shop on Burlington street about to bite the dust Tresspass {in between Specsavers and the old M&S}

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2023, 10:27:38 AM »

Noticed yesterday that it has re opened under another name selling clothes {I believe} I'll give it till Xmas!!!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2023, 07:24:38 PM »
There appears to be a rumour that Clay Cross is planning to re open it's railway station to encourage more people to visit, if this does happen it looks like yet another nail in Chesterfields coffin.
It comes to something when potentially a small "pit village" could end up outdoing one of the major towns in Derbyshire for visitors and footfall in general. I think Chesterfield council should take a long hard look at what's happening there.

I've been given to understand the millions promised to C/C to "develop" the place has been given the go ahead.

Lets hope they know what they are doing, firstly by looking at what's happening in Chesterfield and basically do the exact opposite.
 You never know maybe it could be a turning point for the Cross and it could finally start to lose it's infamous label.

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2023, 08:52:33 AM »
Again I'd do a house swap with any of you and then when you have swapped to the seaside town in Northumberland with one Co-op food store only, one Tesco food only one heron food store a Morrison's, one bank one dentist who are not accepting nhs patients two small ladies clothes shops small not even for all ages, and NO MENS WEAR shop at all, a small post office. And then 4 charity shops. A paint shop and a hardware shop a bookies and that it's folks. You would see what you are missing after the swap.

Up here doesn't have a wh smith, a asda, a TK Maxx, a m&s, a range, a b&m, a home bargains, a shoe shop, a superdrug, a wilko, etc so yes it's a seaside town but they could put other shops like that here but they don't and like I've said before it's more time and money using busses which are never on time. I still say chesterfield is lucky to have what you have and even if a shop does close down there you still have more to keep you going. when a shop up here closes we just either get nothing or another charity shop. This seaside town is also much more expensive to live in. Smaller the place dearer the price so they say.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2023, 02:14:59 PM »
Just heard on the old crystal set that Wilko's are about to go bang {nationwide} so that's another shop in town going to close.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2023, 02:41:32 PM »
Just heard on the old crystal set that Wilko's are about to go bang {nationwide} so that's another shop in town going to close.

Hubby's just told me the same. I'm thinking the pound shops have hit them hard??

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2023, 10:55:21 AM »
Just got back from town checking the prices in Wilko for any bargains...they have plenty of "sale" signs on products but you can still get most of them cheaper elsewhere.

Walked through the market, supposed to be a market day in Chesterfield I think there were four maybe five stalls in total!!

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2023, 08:58:07 AM »

Tbh wilko is always empty and staff just stand doing nothing. If they do get customers they ask you to pay by card so they just continue to stand there. The staff didn't even want to serve you anymore but it's not like they were stocking the shelves either.

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2023, 09:12:38 PM »
Just got back from town checking the prices in Wilko for any bargains...they have plenty of "sale" signs on products but you can still get most of them cheaper elsewhere.

Walked through the market, supposed to be a market day in Chesterfield I think there were four maybe five stalls in total!!

Very soon it will be wilkgoes when it's possibly closed. Who knows what will happen though but it is expensive and many items you can get elsewhere cheaper.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2023, 09:16:49 AM »
Apparently there is an online Wilko scam doing the rounds offering up to 90% discounted goods.

It's a scam because Wilko DON'T now sell on line.....so beware!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2023, 12:33:33 PM »
Apparently there is an online Wilko scam doing the rounds offering up to 90% discounted goods.

It's a scam because Wilko DON'T now sell on line.....so beware!!

(y)

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2023, 08:39:23 PM »
Heard on radio Sheffield news that Chesterfield council are bankrupt they haven't a pit to poss in !!!!!

So all unnecessary work earmarked will be mothballed {that's jargon for you'll get now't}.... so what else is new.

So it's now official....Chesterfield is a dump! and a penniless one at that, if you keep going they will do next to nothing, vote with your feet and stay away and go elsewhere you'll soon see a turnaround.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk