Author Topic: Liz Truss resigns  (Read 2156 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: Liz Truss resigns
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2022, 12:20:27 PM »
I watched Question time on the box last night and Jacob Rees Mogg {Minister for flintlock pistols and Witch burning} was on the panel.

Someone mentioned that basically we were better off when we were in the E.U. and RM replied along the lines of the E.U is corrupt and mentioned suitcases full of Euros being handed round in the E.U. parliament and would we like to go back to being governed by such a corrupt set of officials......eh! has he forgotten Westminster's brown envelopes and P.P.E. contracts?

The answer is no, if anybody is going to be corrupt and rip off the British public only be a British government are in the position to do it, and what a splendid job they are doing.

Having said all that........
 Touching on nurses pay, the basic pay is {I am given to understand and will gladly stand corrected if wrong} for a new nurse is round about the £27,000 p/y mark increasing to about £38,000 p/y after 5 years, I'm excluding London, because everybody gets a different pay scale who work in London. Speaking from my own personal experience when working I could only dream of earning £27 grand a year. Admittedly I wasn't in the medical profession but I worked full time, and damned hard, and my wife worked part time and our combined wages at years end {before tax} would have trouble reaching the £20,000 mark so I can't help but think, especially if these married nurses have partners that work too, when I hear of nursing staff having to use food banks because they can't afford food etc I do suck air through my teeth a little.
Don't get me wrong I'm on their side 110% but if my pension was anywhere near £27,000 per year I'd be living in a villa in the Canaries.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2022, 12:43:12 PM »
Apparently one of the replies by Rishi Sunak in P.M.Q's in answer to a question by Keir Starmer was as follows:-

"The same old Labour ideas, more debt, more inflation, more strikes and more migration". so.......take a look at some figures.

It is alleged:-

2009/10 {Labour}                           2020/22 {Tories}
National debt                               £890 billion                                    £2.4 trillion
Inflation                                       3.4%                                             11.1%
Days lost through strikes              456,000 {all of 2009}                     561,000 {in just two months}
Net migration                              242,000 {all of 2009}                     504,000  {up to June 22}

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2023, 12:22:21 AM »
I miss Cchris.  :'(
He would have explained why the figures you show were actually better for the country.
And tell us we are simpletons for not seeing how it benefits us.

:)) :D 8) ;D :)) :D 8) :P :P

Wonder if he still browses the forum?
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2023, 11:04:37 AM »
He would have explained why the figures you show were actually better for the country.

Looking back on some of the old posts I wonder where him {and others} are. A where are they now scenario, I imagine a good few of them browse from time to time.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2023, 04:34:29 PM »

Ohhh yessss I had forgotten about him. I did see Pete in town awhile ago
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2023, 01:31:38 PM »
Touching on nurses pay, the basic pay is {I am given to understand and will gladly stand corrected if wrong} for a new nurse is round about the £27,000 p/y mark increasing to about £38,000 p/y after 5 years, I'm excluding London, because everybody gets a different pay scale who work in London. Speaking from my own personal experience when working I could only dream of earning £27 grand a year. Admittedly I wasn't in the medical profession but I worked full time, and damned hard, and my wife worked part time and our combined wages at years end {before tax} would have trouble reaching the £20,000 mark so I can't help but think, especially if these married nurses have partners that work too, when I hear of nursing staff having to use food banks because they can't afford food etc I do suck air through my teeth a little.
Don't get me wrong I'm on their side 110% but if my pension was anywhere near £27,000 per year I'd be living in a villa in the Canaries.

Standing by what he said the other day a Tory M.P. said about how he cannot understand how a firefighter on £32,000 a year needs to use a food bank. He basically said that, if true, they should quote..."Learn to budget better" and I'm afraid I basically agree with him. As I say I don't know the ins and outs of this other than the above but as I put in my previous post about the nurses it sounds to me like a lot of these "high earners", because to me that's what they are, are obviously either in a lot of debt to begin with or are just living beyond their means simply because they can't or won't budget. Yes I know it's not cheap to live nowadays, I'm not saying it is, but you can very soon lose sight of your finances and end up in trouble, but as with the nurses pay grades £32 grand p/yr is not chicken feed.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2023, 05:13:00 PM »
When I was working I was promoted to manager, the first thing another manager said to me "you'll be moving house now then?"

I replied that I am still the same person with the same number of people in my family, if the house was good enough for me before, why should I need to move?

This to me was a blatant example of people living beyond their means and/or, keeping up with the Jones's (coincidentally my wifes'maiden name, so I've been doing that for the past 45 years)!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2023, 05:54:06 PM »
Speaking of working you have to ask the question........

End of 2022 there were 1,200,000 people unemployed
End of 2022 there were 1,187,000 job vacancies.

Now I realise the vast majority of these could well be professional positions and not something the man in the street can just walk into,
but there are a lot of these that aren't... and they CAN walk into.

O.K. it may not be the job they are after, it may not be a job they particularly like and the wages are not brilliant BUT IT'S A START!!
 That was me a few years ago I had been with one company for well over 30 years and I left because it was no longer the company I joined in the seventies and it very soon became not a nice place to work in. So I reluctantly went and got another job, not a job I wanted, and I didn't really like, but I did it all the same and stuck with it till until I retired.

It seems that anyone who DOES get a job nowadays wants footballers wages and a thirty hour week, it's not going to happen.
I'm all for anyone getting the job they want with the wages they want.....but life isn't like that,
like anything sometimes you have to start at the bottom.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2023, 09:15:01 PM »
Standing by what he said the other day a Tory M.P. said about how he cannot understand how a firefighter on £32,000 a year needs to use a food bank. He basically said that, if true, they should quote..."Learn to budget better" and I'm afraid I basically agree with him. As I say I don't know the ins and outs of this other than the above but as I put in my previous post about the nurses it sounds to me like a lot of these "high earners", because to me that's what they are, are obviously either in a lot of debt to begin with or are just living beyond their means simply because they can't or won't budget. Yes I know it's not cheap to live nowadays, I'm not saying it is, but you can very soon lose sight of your finances and end up in trouble, but as with the nurses pay grades £32 grand p/yr is not chicken feed.

Another eye opener I heard the other day {spoken by an M.P. so many pinches of salt needed}
{it is alleged}
According to what was said the train drivers who are striking for a pay rise are earning 60 grand a year already and they've turned down a 5 grand a year pay rise. Even after tax, and before a pay rise, they must be on a grand a week easily.

I would gladly come out of retirement for HALF that salary........

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2023, 09:35:47 AM »
I worked at 15 and in my 70's still work  ::)
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk