Author Topic: Christmas is coming...and no one's getting fat  (Read 1722 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Christmas is coming...and no one's getting fat
« on: October 31, 2022, 08:01:46 PM »
What is it about Christmas, people are obviously having to tighten their belts thanks to "cheesy" Truss and her crystal ball so why do people suspend belief during Xmas.

Pubs are advertising "Christmas dinner menus", a typical one is 3 courses for £53pp on Christmas day, that means each person is going to burn up the equivalent of the price of a weeks shopping for nothing more than a glorified Sunday dinner......madness.
I have always maintained that {especially} pub staff should have Xmas day off, they have families too. Years ago most pubs opened for Xmas dinner with just the landlord and landlady serving, but now they are managers wanting staff to work because the brewery's force them too, besides if you would rather waste £50 each when £20 would feed your whole family at home your maybe not as badly off as you imagined.

Anyway why book for Xmas.......the pub may end up not be trading by then!!!
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

smithy266

• View Profile
Re: Christmas is coming...and no one's getting fat
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 08:41:57 AM »
it starts far too early! Still, the adverts for next year's holidays will be on our screens soon...

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 01:40:14 PM »
People are currently cocooned as our weather has been mild. The stark reality will be as the colder weather comes which it probably will and the price of food starts biting into pockets already drained.
Our village food bank is starting to think of what they can provide for those really struggling and are getting tremendous support from businesses and people who are 'comfortably off' We have five days where venues are opening for people to go. It will be warm and complimentary hot drinks and cakes/biscuits provided. Some are offering hot soup.
All towns and villages nee to pull together with this.
The 'I'm alright Jack' attitude needs to be shelved!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 01:15:48 PM »
It looks like what turkeys are available at Xmas will be very expensive as bird flu, or whatever it's called, means birds are being culled.

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 09:25:52 PM »
M and S are selling turkeys at £144 who would pay that for a turkey. It's outrageous. I wanted to see the chesterfield lights get switched on because it's been years since I stood in chesterfield and saw them. It was only more for a memory of that and to be back in chesterfield. As for Christmas I'm not bothering with it. I'm depressed enough.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 11:46:18 AM »
M and S are selling turkeys at £144 who would pay that for a turkey. It's outrageous. I wanted to see the chesterfield lights get switched on because it's been years since I stood in chesterfield and saw them. It was only more for a memory of that and to be back in chesterfield. As for Christmas I'm not bothering with it. I'm depressed enough.

Wow! How are they justifying that!!

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 02:56:58 PM »

Wow! How are they justifying that!!

I didn't realise that the turkeys had to justify how much they were being sold for? 🙄😂
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 08:48:38 PM »
And m and s are doing a advent calendar for adults at £325. It was on the news. It's the one with "apperantly" luxury cosmetics in. Even more ridiculous.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 02:46:26 PM »
I didn't realise that the turkeys had to justify how much they were being sold for? 🙄😂

;D ;D ;D We just have a Turkey Crown as there's only four of us and daughter prefers beef which I also cook. We've just shopped and bought our Christmas food and booze - costs a flipping fortune!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 02:47:24 PM »
And m and s are doing a advent calendar for adults at £325. It was on the news. It's the one with "apperantly" luxury cosmetics in. Even more ridiculous.

It would be interesting to see statistics on sales of those!!

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 08:07:29 PM »
Just give me the booze and I'll just sit and drink it until I don't have to be reminded that first it's Christmas and second I'm not in chesterfield.😭 But I'm stuck in some dead end stupid seaside town where I haven't ever been made welcome by the locals up here and they call me posh because they can't understand my accent is different to up here and take the Micky out of the crooked spire. How dare they do that when none of them have even been in the spire or to my hometown.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 08:13:10 PM by Chesterfield 4ever »

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 08:15:37 PM »
;D ;D ;D We just have a Turkey Crown as there's only four of us and daughter prefers beef which I also cook. We've just shopped and bought our Christmas food and booze - costs a flipping fortune!!

The booze would do me anything to take the pain away that it's Christmas.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2022, 10:46:43 AM »

The booze would do me anything to take the pain away that it's Christmas.

Not everyone enjoys Christmas do they. Now we have no children I find it hard work and a bit boring - call me Mrs Scrooge!!

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2022, 11:55:17 AM »
No they don't. It drags on too long, the Christmas adverts are annoying the songs in the shops are the same. Yeah it's well depressing.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2022, 11:54:42 AM »
First snowfall this morning we had almost an inch of snow, just been to daughters in north Wingfield and they've only had a dusting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk