Author Topic: The dreaded car b/down insurance & insurance  (Read 508 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
The dreaded car b/down insurance & insurance
« on: March 10, 2023, 01:22:36 PM »
Well it's that time of year again.

Breakdown insurance. Been with Green Flag a few years now and they've always put up the yearly premium but always after a phone call telling them I could get it cheaper they always matched the other quote {or within a couple of quid}.
This time their quote was £30 more than last year, wanted over £80 so looked online and found one for £47 with more benefits so rang G/F and they said for the kind of cover I've found their equivalent would cost me £112!!!!! so I got a new policy from Start rescue with everything I needed plus and with the new customer discount offered I paid £41.

My car insurance is not due till end of May so waiting to see what the renewal quote will be before deciding. Same with these, I ring after getting other quotes and they've always matched the lower quote. I'm a little worried as I put my details on a compare site to check prices and the company I'm already with wanted £450 and last year I paid them £220, I think the lowest on the compare site was Tesco at £250 but their reviews are cr*p, all the descent ones seemed to be around the £300 mark, so I'll just wait and see.   
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: The dreaded car b/down insurance & insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 08:47:21 PM »
Car insurance renewal....2022/23 was £220 this years renewal is £298... NOT paying that.

So went online {go compare site} and got one £45 cheaper {and more extras} so rang my insurance company and as usual they said "O.k. lets see if we can match it" THIS time I said don't bother, I've already gone with the other company. I'm sick of playing this game because if they can match the new quote, and they always do, then that's the quote I should have been offered first.

smithy266

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 08:49:21 AM »
I am now quite a fan of these comparison sites...despite the awful tv adverts...

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 09:43:02 AM »
I use the comparison sites all the time especially for car insurance.
My breakdown cover is now due, so I'm going to get RAC(my current) to compete and beta the AA and the others.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 10:30:25 AM »
I use the comparison sites all the time especially for car insurance.
My breakdown cover is now due, so I'm going to get RAC(my current) to compete and beta the AA and the others.

Fly give Start rescue a try, you'll get new customer discount, a few extra benefits and the reviews are pretty good.

Having said that as with ALL types of insurance you only find out how good the company is when you claim.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 06:43:37 PM »
I've just had a look. Let's see if the RAC can beat their price (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 08:37:14 PM »
I've been with Spire insurance for a few years now for car insurance, but i do get quotes from comparison sites aswell. I sometimes tell them that i've been online & tell them the quotes, not sure if it makes a difference, but Spire insurance has always managed to beat the cheapest comparable quote from comparison sites.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk