Author Topic: 'The Sun' print apology over “1,200 killed by mental patients” headline.  (Read 905 times)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
I received this email from change.org I'd signed an online petition to get the Sun to apologise for an offensive headline.

Barry -

Brilliant news! Following public outcry and concern from mental health organisations, today The Sun newspaper printed a correction to their offensive front page headline which read “1,200 killed by mental patients”.

As a psychology teacher with a family that has a history of mental health illness, I was shocked and appalled at The Sun’s coverage of such a sensitive issue.

To my amazement, so were over 82,000 of you! The petition grew stronger and stronger, calling for a correction and donation to a mental health charity.

Last week mental health charities Rethink and Mind met with The Sun to discuss their coverage of mental health issues and responsible journalism. And today they have printed this correction.

It’s important that this correction doesn’t go unnoticed. Time and again people with mental health issues are stigmatised in the media. It’s vital that when corrections are made, they are made publicly to end the stigma. 

Please retweet this so that everyone can see that The Sun have corrected their front page.

Without each and every one of you taking a stand, we couldn’t have caused such a stir.

Thank you so much for your support.

Rhiannon

PS. You might be interested in this petition calling for Thorpe Park to stop stigmatising mental health by changing the name of a ride which portrays mental health patients in an "Asylum". If we can make a paper like The Sun correct it's language, we can make Thorpe Park do the same.

Here's a link to the published apology on the 'Change' Twitter page.
https://twitter.com/UKChange/status/392973294078414848/photo/1
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk