Author Topic: Where's this Church  (Read 4280 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Where's this Church
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 06:13:26 PM »
Here's the pic OC

Yes thank you Fly.
It has been thought that it may have been taken outside what is now the Tupton Fish Bar. The building across is now a shop with no window but the angle is possible right?
So still a question mark as to where it is but a strong possibility?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 06:20:03 PM »
It certainly looks like the same one - only the wall is much closer to the Church in the photograph of my grandfather and there are some pretty old looking grave stone in the picture Fly has found between the wall and the Church??

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
Trust me on this OC it's the right one all right.

Since the old photo and modern images of the church has been taken things have obviously changed

The group in the photo are sat were the gate is now, in the modern photo's the wall is obviously a "new" one, this means some of the grounds might have been extended possibly to the left of the gate. The lady on the far right has a tombstone on her right elbow that seems to match one of the two stones just to the right of the gate [inside] on the new photo also there is now a Cenotaph on the grounds as since the photo was taken we have had to endure two world wars.

The old wall "appears" to be closer but the churchyard slopes down to the church and I think this may have created an optical illusion on the photo.
After the nuclear war the only creatures roaming the earth will be cockroaches and politicians

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 05:47:54 PM »
Trust me on this OC it's the right one all right.

Since the old photo and modern images of the church has been taken things have obviously changed

The group in the photo are sat were the gate is now, in the modern photo's the wall is obviously a "new" one, this means some of the grounds might have been extended possibly to the left of the gate. The lady on the far right has a tombstone on her right elbow that seems to match one of the two stones just to the right of the gate [inside] on the new photo also there is now a Cenotaph on the grounds as since the photo was taken we have had to endure two world wars.

The old wall "appears" to be closer but the churchyard slopes down to the church and I think this may have created an optical illusion on the photo.

Well I thank you very much Soretro and Fly for your input.
Much appreciated and yes - I owe you a Pint !  :)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 05:44:46 PM »
I told my aunt about the Church. She was so thrilled  that it has been found he father was one of the young boys :)
Another thank you from Ellen  :)

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 07:06:14 PM »
Just a bit of t.v. trivia.......

We've been catching up on the t.v. series Unforgotten on I think the my5 channel and in one episode a "mother" is talking to her "son" sat at  a beer table. I recognised the pub straight away it was the Snowshill arms with the churchyard opposite.

I know........

I REALLY REALLY do need to get out more!
After the nuclear war the only creatures roaming the earth will be cockroaches and politicians

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 08:39:19 PM »
Just a bit of t.v. trivia.......

We've been catching up on the t.v. series Unforgotten on I think the my5 channel and in one episode a "mother" is talking to her "son" sat at  a beer table. I recognised the pub straight away it was the Snowshill arms with the churchyard opposite.

I know........

I REALLY REALLY do need to get out more!

Was it the same Church yard????????

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2021, 09:06:08 AM »
Yes it is........on the old photo is part of a building in the background between the small child and the lady on the far right. This is the pub the Snowshill arms. Obviously on the modern google map at the same angle that background is now obscured by small trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk