Author Topic: Oops, another shop closing in town.  (Read 15479 times)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: Oops, another shop closing in town.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »
Pay freezes = people spend on necessities not luxuries

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
I dont think it's that Andy - that's a more current reason, truth is the town centres have been dying for many years as a result of out of town retail parks with big brand names, easy parking etc.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »
So when the donut get's developed, and the waterside project is up and running,
what's going to happen to the town centre.
Vicar Lane.
Precinct, Low Pavements.
Ravenside retail park.
Or the 'newly developed Market Hall' ??

I just don't get it  :-\

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:41:39 PM »
The brilliant minds at the council need to get a plan together not sit on their bums and just let it happen.

I have heard of several folks who wanted to do some sort of business in the town centre only to be thwarted by the council.

Also, why won't they reduce the rents a little to give entrepreneurs a chance? Instead of just leaving shops empty, which then get neglected and the whole image of town starts to look like a scruffy ghost town.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »
If Chesterfield is supposed to be an 'Historic Market Town',
why can't people leave it that way?
Isn't that why people come to town visiting.
To see a Market Town. Not a would be city and another Meadowhall ?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:27:42 PM »
They should change the title "Historic Market Town" to "Typical Sh*thole Town With Typical Retail Parks".

The council have a duty of care to stop the town sliding into disuse and misuse.

If I were a *cough* councilor I wouldn't want to be associated with the death of such lovely town centre. They need someone with vision and determination to get involved and make something happen - local politicians are a bunch of defeatists if you ask me, look at what ordinary folks did when they got behind the canal renovations - it goes from strength to strength!

Left to the council it would be a ditch full of rubbish, old shopping trollys, etc.

IMHO of course.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »
The ones that are closing down are chains so in no way the fault of Chesterfield which has higher percentage occupancy than many other towns.

Surely refurbishing the market hall and bringing it up to modern standards, with the help of grants and outside money, is a positive move?

No town centre can compete with an out of town outlet in terms of parking. Reducing rents would be good in times of economic prosperity but can't see it happening in the current climate.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 08:16:21 PM »
Your thoughts about the other planned developments Andy. Donut etc

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
>> Surely refurbishing the market hall and bringing it up to modern standards, with the help of grants and outside money, is a positive move?

Yes it is - but it's only a start, in itself it only partially addresses a bigger problem.

Come on Andy - get yer thinking cap on, we'll support you! :)

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 09:27:24 PM »
I am in favour of the new developments. The Donut is narrowed down to a couple of developers with different layout plans and parking has to be included in it.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 11:00:27 PM »
Plus ca change!
Pavements gets developed. Kills Cavendish Street/Stephensons Place
Vicar Lane gets developed, kills the Pavements centre
Donut gets redeveloped, probably kills Vicar Lane
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

k4blades

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »
Pay freezes = people spend on necessities not luxuries

You also said this recently:
Maybe because when you look at spending power petrol, energy and just general shopping a pay freeze means a pay cut. A call for these prices to be held down would have gone down a lot better.

So are you suggesting that employers increase wages and benefits, and at the same time cut their prices, reducing their profits further.....with that business model, surely there would be even more businesses closing.

We would all have more money in our pockets if there was a cut in council tax too, would you do that and then still give council employees a pay rise, if not, how can businesses.

Oh I do find it so easy and so much fun, pulling apart Labours understanding of economics.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:06:55 PM by k4blades »

k4blades

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 10:14:23 AM »
The "High Street" is changing but it always has. Yes, we are losing lots of big names, but look at the new shops replacing them. New Look is a big player now, that hardly existed some years ago, coffee chains, etc, and who'd have thought a few years ago, that shops would open where you can go and have your feet nibbled by fish.

The public are moving away from buying "stuff" from the shops, they can get that online, but people do like to go out, and shops need to be more leisure based, such as pubs or restaurants. I think a lot of the big players will try and keep a site on the high street, but only to act as a "shop front" to their online business, so customers can collect / return orders, or go in to have a look at a product.

It would be a shame if Chesterfield tried to compete with the likes of Meadowhall, it will fail. And the council should NOT spend money on new buildings (which don't stay new very long), while there are old buildings sat empty.

What the council should do is play to Chesterfields strengths, people will visit the town if its a good place to visit. (And that includes appealing to tourists as well as local shoppers, as we are ideally situated with M1 on one side and all that lovely countryside on the other.

So what the town centre needs is lots of parking, (free or cheap), lots of clean toilets, etc, sheltered and pedestrian areas, to feel safe, ( security cameras and police on beat), places to sit, places that are interesting or attractive to look at, etc. So the canal side development should go ahead, lets get a few small bars and bistros, etc, there, some boats on the canal, a few small green areas. If the donut is going to be developed lets not go for the obvious choice of retail units, how about an indoor skiing thing like Milton Keynes, or some sort of internet cafe/library/technology centre, a small music venue to compete/compliment Winding Wheel, a dance center (strictly is very popular at the moment), a planetarium, ( stargazing is suddenly very popular). The point being that shops are not the future, leisure activities are what will bring people to the town, but it needs to be done in a way that doesn't spoil what we have, as Pete said, we don't want to be "another typical sh*thole town".   

PS, just heard that Screwfix  are opening on Derby Road.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 10:18:24 AM »
But surely based on Slacker's model if I sell 1 item for a £1  on which I make 40p profit it would be better to charge 80p make 20p per item profit  and hopefully sell more of them?
Primark announced increased sales of 16% this morning whereas Marks and Next are struggling?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:21:03 AM by therealjr »
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk