Author Topic: Is a pub Near You About To Close If So Post On Here  (Read 28386 times)

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Is a pub Near You About To Close If So Post On Here
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 02:17:15 AM »
Sadly the Crispin pub on Ashgate road will be closing, Tesco won their bid...
Along with the Somerset House in Calow. Not until the Serious Fraud Squad investigations against Tesco's alleged falsified profit figures are concluded I bet. Tesco pub conversions may be on hold until further notice, I know the Somerset is still open (they lost too), but the pub is open until further notice, so Tesco currently don't know if they can afford to convert all the pubs they have "acquired" for the time being. Lets say they can afford it now, but their share prices have taken a massive dive, profits are down, & big investors are taking their money out. That's a massive hole to dig yourself out of.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 02:32:25 AM »
Thanks JR given the state of the building I would agree ten years sounds right. Been Googleing Duckmanton Lodge it was sold in 2011 for nearly £400.000 there were plans to build three houses in the grounds and a swimming pool no less all seemed set to go but never happened. The building (main part) is quite old perhaps even Georgian in date what I could see inside was stripped out and the ceilings have fallen in a very dangerous place.
It was a lovely place to go - living in Calow we had a few parties at saddlers bar. In the 80's my mates & I frequented the White Hart, & sometimes nipped next door to Civil Service Club for a game of Pool. It's a fine building - I remember it having it's roof tiles replaced, and then all of a sudden it closed. Like JR says could be nearly 10 yrs by now. There's quite a lot of land attached to it too - seems strange it's not been developed in any way by the current owner, unless there are objections underway etc.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 03:02:07 AM »
There's a rumour doing the rounds that the co-op are buying the Spital though it's unclear as yet whether it's as well as or instead of the one in Hasland. Could be a save our shop campaign for the local councillors if anyone knows who they are?? :-)
When I was a kid, there was a Co-op in Calow. The shop is still there (not a co-op) but with Indian ownership - nice people too. I can't see the main one in Hasland closing if they take on the Spital Hotel - its in the heart of the village. Also (on my travels) noticed in Tibshelf a pub has been demolished & that's going to be a Co-op. The Co-op, I guess, are taking on Tesco in the small towns & villages, because, out of the whole Co-operative business, the small food hall/mini supermarket is it's most profitable part.

ironsky2

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
When I was a kid, there was a Co-op in Calow. The shop is still there (not a co-op) but with Indian ownership - nice people too. I can't see the main one in Hasland closing if they take on the Spital Hotel - its in the heart of the village. Also (on my travels) noticed in Tibshelf a pub has been demolished & that's going to be a Co-op. The Co-op, I guess, are taking on Tesco in the small towns & villages, because, out of the whole Co-operative business, the small food hall/mini supermarket is it's most profitable part.
Not been to Tibshelf for quite a few years but I photoed all the pubs. I'm guessing the demolished pub is the 'Slap and Tickle been closed for years and in a right state.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 08:19:11 PM »
Driven past the 'Bottom Pub' Danesmoor today, very sad to see the gutted shell of what was once one of our weekend pub crawls. Wracked by fire which I believe was started deliberately.
Not sure what will happen to it
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 01:58:57 AM »
Not been to Tibshelf for quite a few years but I photoed all the pubs. I'm guessing the demolished pub is the 'Slap and Tickle been closed for years and in a right state.
Correct!

ironsky2

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 08:49:37 PM »
Thought it would the Slap and Tickle pub aside of it a fair piece of land.

ironsky2

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »
Driven past the 'Bottom Pub' Danesmoor today, very sad to see the gutted shell of what was once one of our weekend pub crawls. Wracked by fire which I believe was started deliberately.
Not sure what will happen to it
When the pub was for sale I went with a mate who wanted to have a look round. Took a few pics but was quite dark in there the upstairs had been in the progress of been turned into bedsits. The new owner wanted to reopen it as a pub again any hope of that ended with the fire. No idea what will happen now as the fire damage was very bad personally can only see it been demolished in the end.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 09:25:09 PM »
It was always our first call on Saturday and Sunday evenings. We walked across the Welfare in all weathers for that first drink. Had many happy times there.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »
I've seen it too - I think it's too far damaged to be restored.
Spital Hotel is now closed. Going to be a Co-op!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »
I'm wondering if the Royal Oak on Derby Road Tupton has closed or just not opening in the afternoons. Went passed today and it looked 'shut up' no cars in car park?

ironsky2

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 06:34:43 PM »
Don't understand about the Spital pub went to have a look last week it had a banner saying it had a new landlord and was open . Is it boarded up ?

ironsky2

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 02:16:13 PM »
I can confirm the Spital pub is not going to be a Co Op. I have spoken to the new manager today the pub will reopen tonight or tomorrow.  :)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »
 (y) Nice one ironsky  :)

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »
Ironsky: did they tell you about the fun and games on Saturday night?
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk