Author Topic: And so it begins  (Read 306 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
And so it begins
« on: May 24, 2024, 01:11:16 PM »
For the next six weeks the worlds your lobster. The electorate will be promised the earth and I'm afraid the vast majority will fall for it.

Rishi Sunak....Never trusted him, never will.
Keir Starmer...Never trusted him, never will.
Ed Davey....... Never trusted him, never will......... ad infinitum

I've mentioned this before, as I was approaching voting age I sought advice from my dad {as I assume most did} he being a Labour supporter all his life it wasn't difficult to see which way he voted, but even he was disillusioned then and here we are 60 years later and we're still no nearer having a decent government. He only passed on two pieces of knowledge:-
1/  The only good politician is a dead one..... at least you know where they are and what they're up to any time of the day.
2/ I would chop my right arm off before I ever voted conservative.

Apart from those words of wisdom politics, when I was growing up, was a subject in our house that was never discussed, never a need to discuss it. We were a family of 7 siblings and over the years we never knew each others preferences because we never asked, I only found out {by accident} that my two eldest brothers always voted Conservative.
 I've been married for over 50 years and I STILL don't know who my wife votes for mainly because I've never asked, and why should I, it's none of my business.

It wouldn't hurt for the voters to re visit past decades and find out how many promises were either kept or broken by successive governments then make up your minds.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: And so it begins
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2024, 07:37:24 PM »
Only a few days in and already the promises are coming thick and fast from all sides.

Allegedly.. the junior doctors are going on strike again presumably wanting Sunak out so they can get their 35% pay rise, but it looks like they may not get it with Labour either.

The Tories have said this and promised that if they are re elected, but why wasn't any of these "great" things brought in BEFORE the election date it's just another con to get them back in power.

Anyway whoever wins it will just be another 5 years of the same, and why people can't or won't see this is beyond me.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2024, 08:08:25 PM »
Finally watched the first debate that was on the other night Sunak  V Starmer and, predictably, unimpressed, a classic example of how politicians can talk for an hour and not say anything, as the Americans would say it just became a pi**ing contest.

Apparently there's another one next week, with no doubt more of the same, with more parties this time and now that Nigel Farage has thrown his hat back into the ring that should stir things up a bit.

Sunak lost several brownie points yesterday {D day}, was his schedule THAT full {or did he realise he'd left the gas on?}. His own common sense should have told him you don't leave midway through proceedings especially something so important as that. If Biden can travel all that way and Zelensky can risk travelling through his war torn country to get there PLUS veterans in their nineties can make the effort AND stay longer it doesn't look good for one of our countries representative to duck out, especially someone who only travelled about 100 miles.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2024, 08:15:01 AM »
He's obviously got different values to us.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2024, 02:43:48 PM »
The Triple Lock for pensioners..

I have just had a quick look at the Triple Lock promises made by Labour and Conservative.
 For those unfamiliar with T/L this has been used when calculating pensions, this goes up annually by either 2.5% or inflation {whichever is the greater} granted over the last couple of years it's gone up by the rate of inflation which has been high so it looks {on paper} as if O.A.P.'s are doing well, unfortunately the personal tax threshold {P.T.T.} which is the figure what O.A.P's are allowed to receive in pension before having to pay tax on it, which has always gone up slightly at the same time, has been frozen since 2021 and both the Tories and Labour have virtually said the freeze will continue till at least 2028 which means that O.A.P's {especially O.A.P.'s on just the basic pension} will find their pensions overtaking the P.T.T. and will have to start paying tax which is taxed at 20%.
I myself am already paying tax as I have two small private pensions coming in and this has tipped me over, not only for this year but last year as well.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2024, 02:50:11 PM »
We can't win. If people working struggle some needing food banks what chance do pensioners have.We can't pick up a bit of available overtime to help pay bills.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2024, 04:10:57 PM »
Say what you like about Nigel Farage he's the only one that seems to be talking sense.
 I mean after all, the chances of him getting anywhere near number 10 are slim to none so he has no reason, when interviewed, to lie or in any way bend the truth.

I think the man should be given a chance... Farage as P.M. with Martin Lewis as chancellor of the exchequer, as P.M. he certainly couldn't do any worse.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk