Author Topic: Vince Cable reiterates his opposition to 'fire at will' employment laws  (Read 11821 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Well done, Vince! Someone has to stand up for workers' rights!

If this legislation and abolishing the National Minimum Wage goes through, it will set this country back 100 years.

http://bit.ly/TxMDoV
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

therealjr

• View Profile
Re: Vince Cable reiterates his opposition to 'fire at will' employment laws
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
This presumably is the same Vince Cable who allegedly doesn't understand the needs of businesses and should be fired?
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 07:24:01 PM »
Yer - that's him ;)

Can you imagine a situation where there is massive unemployment and unscrupulous employers can set folks on at rock bottom wages, work 'em do death and sack them without reason.

If anyone here thinks that we should do this to compete with India, China, etc. - they've got a fight on their hands...  >:(

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 07:28:27 PM »
Can you imagine a situation where there is massive unemployment and unscrupulous employers can set folks on at rock bottom wages, work 'em do death and sack them without reason.

I can't but I know a Prime Minister and Chancellor who probably can!!

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »
Cable should vote with his feet because Cameron & Osborne aren't going to listen to such views

k4blades

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 07:59:05 PM »
Yer - that's him ;)
If anyone here thinks that we should do this to compete with India, China, etc. - they've got a fight on their hands...  >:(

No, you are right of course. Better for the factory to close down, all the jobs go to the Chinese, and our people end up stuck on a life of benefits.
You, yourself, said last week, we can't compete with the Chinese. Please tell us what ideas you have for finding employment for the 2.5 million currently unemployed, let alone anymore that may become unemplyed if the recession continues.
If you want fight, please do go ahead and gives us your solutions. I can't wait.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »
Why give employers more rights to sack people - surely that just boosts the unemployment figures.
Sorry but MP's need to get in touch with the common man/woman.
Or have I misinterpreted what he's said?
Easier to sack people, i.e. remove some workers rights of appeal and such?
Can't be right surely-people finding it hard enough to find jobs and keep them anyway.

You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »
No, you are right of course. Better for the factory to close down, all the jobs go to the Chinese, and our people end up stuck on a life of benefits.
You, yourself, said last week, we can't compete with the Chinese. Please tell us what ideas you have for finding employment for the 2.5 million currently unemployed, let alone anymore that may become unemplyed if the recession continues.
If you want fight, please do go ahead and gives us your solutions. I can't wait.

Your starting to sound like you don't want employee's to have any rights, and be treat like dogs.

go ahead and gives us your solutions. I can't wait.
I've said this before, and I'll say it again, if members had the answers, they'd be running the country.
NOT posting on here.
Why do you constantly ask members to explain why they are wrong in their opinions ?

If you are so cock sure your opinions are better, go run the country .  .  .  .
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 08:52:15 PM »
On a frequent basis I comment that I really don’t understand economics but correct me if I am wrong on this scenario.
I work for Sainsburys. I get paid a wage. My employer puts my wages up (cheers Justin!). In order to pay for this Sainsburys have to put up their prices. Slacker comes shopping to Sainsburys. He finds the prices have gone up so his standard of living has dropped. So he goes to DCC, asks for and receives a pay rise. This means my council tax is going to go up. My standard of living will drop. I need a pay rise. This scenario is played out by all the workers in the land and continues in a cycle. Correct me if I am wrong but that’s called inflation.
And Inflation is bad.
It also leads to Unemployment
Also bad
Now somebody is suggesting that the answer is paying people less. So Justin cuts my pay by 50% (In Sainsburys case I think I’m fairly safe but I will go with the scenario) Now in theory this means that Slacker will be able to get his weekly shopping for less. So he won’t mind when DCC cut his wages, which puts my council tax down, so I don’t notice so much that my wage was cut. Presumably this is reverse inflation which I assume is good and low unemployment which again I assume is good.
Now of course we get to the problem. In scenario one it is of course those nasty unions who demand higher wages and the idle worker who doesn’t produce enough that cause all the issues. Sack the lot of them!!
Except of course that in scenario 2 somebody somewhere isn’t going to play the game and instead of passing those savings on to keep everyone at the same level they are going to pocket those savings and widen the gap between the haves and the have nots.
But that won’t matter because they are the good guys, the ones who have created all these jobs and generated the wealth.
Of course the health service will collapse because people won’t be able to look after themselves properly with good diets (and they won’t be able to afford the private health care). The Police won’t be able to cope with all the crime caused by people having to steal just to feed their families not to mention the regular riots by disaffected people. Not sure how councils will cope with all the people who need re housing because the banks have foreclosed on their mortgages.
But it won’t matter because everyone will be working thanks to those nice people who generated all this wealth.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »
Chris: Isn't your scenario easily solved by a probationery period?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »
Both of you have good points, but my worry would be unscrupulous employers who didn't give a f*** about his staff. Got cancer? Sorry you're fired. Broken leg? There's plenty more where you came from. Wife died and you've had a nervous breakdown? Byeeeee...

Also, if we tried to match the recipe of China/India, who would finance the slums for the workers to live in?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 09:02:32 PM »
Also, if we tried to match the recipe of China/India, who would finance the slums for the workers to live in?

Destination Chesterfield  q? 8)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 09:10:25 PM »
@Cc I sympathise with the situation you explain.
Non entities jumping on the employment ladder then claiming unfair dismissal etc cos they're wasters.
It's a shame this can happen, but in today's society it can.
I suppose it's all part of being an employer. Which I ain't  :(

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk