Author Topic: 20mph speed limit  (Read 5644 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
20mph speed limit
« on: March 19, 2012, 02:29:58 PM »
Just seen an article/video on the DT website where a group of campaigners are lobbying for a 20 mph speed limit in residential areas of Chesterfield.

Not sure about that myself, what do you think?

http://bit.ly/y4Zpl4
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: 20mph speed limit
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 04:46:27 PM »
Bunch of pillocks IMHO

I could understand it near schools.
Would they class Sheff, Chats, and Newbold Rd as 'residential'
I can see the queues  :(

Plus there's that many rd works round town it's difficult to do 20mph now ;)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:16:56 PM »
20mph is the normal speed near schools when the amber school warning lights are activated. I doubt however that many heed this. Having said that the Chelsea Tractor brigade manage to make most schools almost impossible to drive past anyway. Try it in a bus. I have to - its my job.
Maybe 20mph for town centre is understandable, because that is packed with pedestrians, who lets face it dont always look before stepping off a pavement into the road. Too busy texting etc,etc.Cant say as its possible to exceed 20mph in town centre anyway.
To slow everything down to 20mph where there are houses, which unless I am mistaken is what they are proposing, is not justified unless an accident black spot has seen an increase.
Generally there are reportedly fewer deaths on our roads, so why go further in adding pointless traffic restrictions.
Seems like some residents going over the top to me.
If this were implemented, there would be some unhappy people at my place of work having to re-write timetables for buses as it would obviously take a lot longer to get there. Buses go through urban built up areas to pick people up and take them home, because thats where they live.
To slow us down even more would be extremely unpopular. Some car drivers do amazingly stupid things to get past a bus, even if it means they are compromising other drivers. This would get worse.
IMHO this is a non starter - unless things are proved otherwise, preserve it as it is.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:04:17 PM »
No
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »
Some estates in Bolsover District have 20 limit on whole estate

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:47:24 PM »

Some estates in Bolsover District ...................................are still cobbled!!!!!  ;)

Actually I'm being grossly unfair - someone told me that they're getting gas & electricity next week!  :D
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »

Some estates in Bolsover District ...................................are still cobbled!!!!!  ;)

Actually I'm being grossly unfair - someone told me that they're getting gas & electricity next week!  :D

Woohoo, cant wait.  Might get the internet in a couple of years  ;)

Cheeky git!
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

mycul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 01:53:47 PM »
My reply on the other forum.

Sorry, have got to disagree with many of the posts on here.
I can't speak for Chesterfield but I can for Sheffield.

Read this:- https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/schemes/safety.html

Every single scheme on this list has been voted for by the Sheffield public.

Since the introduction of 20 mph schemes the rate of deaths in residential areas has been reduced to ZERO, yes that's right ZERO.

If you don't believe me send me a PM and I will take you to work and show you the official figures.

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 03:20:42 PM »
All the while 'speed' is held up to be the prime cause of road accidents (which it isn't) we'll have over reaction both from the public and from politicians. Educating drivers, riders and pedestrians to use the roads safely costs money - not a vote winner. Far easier to impose yet more restrictions on motorists.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 05:48:19 PM »
According to the DT, this plan has been kicked into touch.

:)

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 06:01:36 PM »
Quite right too. I don't disagree with 20mph limits where appropriate but a blanket limit is ridiculous.

The county council hasn't yet implemented those that that should have been introduced years ago. The development my house is on was built in 2005, one of the planning conditions was that the roads were to be subject to a 20mph limit - we're still waiting. It doesn't bother me too much but during the holdays there are lots of kids playing in the street.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 06:50:44 PM »
I've seen the article and meant to comment. Nice one DCC  ;)
Just spent an hour posting a thread in the 'Fun Stuff' board.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Darax

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 12:34:53 AM »
I understand it near schools, but for residential areas a large part of me thinks that people should just learn to cross the road safely.

I've driven through Sheffield recently, and the amount of times people decided to cross on a blind corner of a busy road when there's a traffic light system a couple of metres away... :@ I like to think I'm an observant, if paranoid driver, but still ended up doing about three/four emergency stops within about half an hour of driving.
I know a couple of people who have had serious accidents in sheffield, and both of them came about because they decided to cross without looking properly or at an unsafe point. Though yes, having a lower speed limit could reduce the amount of accidents (because if drivers are going at 20 it's going to be a pretty great achievement if they can't stop/end up doing any serious damage), it seems a bit harsh to put all the blame for accidents on drivers.

For residential areas with kids, parents should probably teach them not to play in the middle of the road (another thing I've seen fairly frequently) , or be there to supervise. It's something I had drilled into my head from an early age and the only near accidents I've been involved in are ones involving vehicles taking corners too fast and ending up mounting the curb a couple of feet from where I was walking.  Perhaps I've been lucky.

Yeah, there are a lot of unsafe drivers, but I think it'd be more beneficial to teach pedestrians to watch out for them, seeing as said unsafe drivers are unlikely to stick to speed limits anyway.

This sounds a bit harsh on pedestrians, but I honestly prefer to, and spend more time walking around chesterfield than driving. I just don't believe that a lower speed limit will stop any drivers who are already unsafe, and have, so far, had worse experiences with pedestrians than vehicle owners.  I might just be unlucky, though :P

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 12:46:28 AM »
Fuck me Darax  - that's a post and a quarter - welcome to Chesterfield Online :)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:51:12 AM by Pete »

Darax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 12:57:12 AM »
Fuck me Darax  - that's a post and a quarter - welcome to Chesterfield Online :)

Ta Pete, I don't normally ramble on that much but  ::) better out than in

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk